Drawing blood

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
Can someone give me instruction or point me toward some on how to draw blood from my heifers? I need to preg check them. Thanks in advance

I just order a ton of needles, and draw under the tail with them. I can't get the vaccume needle to work right. Use a new needle everytime, so you don't skew your results.

I use a 3 cc syringe with an 18 ga needle. Much easier, to me. Have someone hold the tail straight up. Wipe the underside reasonably clean in the area where you're going to draw from. With your left thumb (if you're right-handed) find the groove that runs down the middle of the underside of the tail. Stick the needle straight in at 90 degrees roughly even with where the web on either side of the tail attaches to the tail, usually about 1/2" deep. You might hit bone. Pull back gently on the plunger. If you don't get anything, play around with it, further in, pull out a bit, etc... If you still don't get anything, start over an inch or so up or down the tail. When you get 2-3 cc's, stick the needle into the top of a blood tube...the vacuum will draw the blood out.

ricebeltrancher":2b0rlkbh said:
I use a 3 cc syringe with an 18 ga needle. Much easier, to me. Have someone hold the tail straight up. Wipe the underside reasonably clean in the area where you're going to draw from. With your left thumb (if you're right-handed) find the groove that runs down the middle of the underside of the tail. Stick the needle straight in at 90 degrees roughly even with where the web on either side of the tail attaches to the tail, usually about 1/2" deep. You might hit bone. Pull back gently on the plunger. If you don't get anything, play around with it, further in, pull out a bit, etc... If you still don't get anything, start over an inch or so up or down the tail. When you get 2-3 cc's, stick the needle into the top of a blood tube...the vacuum will draw the blood out.
If you hold it too high it will pinch off the tail vein. 45 degrees from the cows spine is than 90