Drawing blood samples from the tail vein

Help Support CattleToday:

pd

Reaction score
I have seen my vet do this several times. But when I ask him to teach me he says it is not easy and refuses to show me how. But in discussion he has told me that the vein is a large one and hard to miss! But I have seen the said vet miss a few times...

I know the vet doesn't want to miss out on the easy money from driving out to my place just to take a blood sample, (he's a frustrated large animal vet that spends most of his time with cats and dogs!). But maybe he is right......and perhaps there are complications if not done right.

Anyway, does anyone take their own blood samples from cattle tail veins? If so, is it really that hard to do? If not, can you please describe the procedure.

pd":1gq3k72f said:
........can you please describe the procedure.
It's not really that difficult, but it might seem like it until you get the hang of it. I find it's easier and quicker with vacuutainers than syringes, but that may just be personal preference. I'll try to describe it for you since nobody else has taken a shot at your question. Keep in mind that it is one of those procedures that is much easier to show than tell. ;-)

Lift the tail up so that you can access the underside. In the center of the underside of the tail, you will find what feels like a soft groove with bone or cartilage on either side of it. This groove runs down the length of the tail, getting smaller as you get closer to the end. It will feel similar to the soft area between your knuckles, with a vein running in the soft area, just as in your knuckles. The closer you get to the tailhead, the larger it is, therefore the easier it is to hit. Once you get through the skin with your needle, put some vaccum to it and you should be able to tell when you hit the vein. If your needle bottoms out, withdraw it slightly until you come back through the vein. It's not real big, so it will take a steady hand to stay in it. Remember that the closer to the tailhead you try, the easier it is to hit and stay in. If you do it often, you will find it relatively quick and easy. If you don't keep in practice, you will probably find it slower than neck bleeding.

Many thanks for writing that out Texan. I will print it out and prop it up beside me as I try it out! :D - much appreciated.

One more little question.......I read that when taking the blood out of the vein the needle should point away from the heart (and into flow of blood) in order to avoid collapsing the vein. So do you point the needle sort of towards the tip of the tail.....??

Tex definately got it right, but I have to ask? Wouldn't it be easier for you to simply draw from the neck?
We simply put the needle sans syringe into the vein, and when we get a squirt of blood coming out of the needle unassisted we attach the syringe and slowly vacume out some blood, and yes, slowly, we don't know if we would callapse the vien if we drew it faster, but one never knows.

We then just reverse the proceedure when we have to make IV injections, again, slowly.

Medic24":2leflmug said:
Wouldn't it be easier for you to simply draw from the neck?

In my experience, for just a blood sample, the tail is easier in a squeeze chute set-up. Now, in a dairy type, head catch lock gate where you can lock their heads and tie it to the other side out of the way the jugler would be eaiser.

pd wrote:
But when I ask him to teach me he says it is not easy and refuses to show me how.
My vet and I don't see eye-to-eye very often. But when I ask medical(not billing) related questions he is more than helpful. While doing a post for me a while back I asked for my magnet back, he handed me the scapel and told me go fishing...but walked me thru it. And yes, I got my magnet back!

Latest posts