Drawback to good grass

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Neighbors cows break out, they come to our pastures, same with horses, sheep and goats. I don;t much object to the amount of grass they eat, although 35 head of the neighbors cows did make short work of my back hay field. What I find irritating is the damage they do to fences.

callmefence":11ty3w76 said:
Sounds like you got good grass and a sorry fence
These all come from different directions. The horses went through 3 very hot hot wire fences, the last bunch knocked down pretty decent field fence with 2 strands of barb on the top.

A fence is nothing more than a suggestion to a cow that wants over to the other side.
As my old uncle used to say son you know how to keep your cows home?
Feed them.

Caustic Burno":35k65wxy said:
A fence is nothing more than a suggestion to a cow that wants over to the other side.
Feed them.

I observed that last week when a tree took out the line fence on the back of the farm. My cows were laying a hundred yards away and never had any inclination to wonder off. But a thin heifer likely living as a recluse for 8 months decided to join my herd. Either for food, companionship or both.

Bright Raven":1txrb9rg said:
Caustic Burno":1txrb9rg said:
Feed them.

I observed that last week when a tree took out the line fence on the back of the farm. My cows were laying a hundred yards away and never had any inclination to wonder off. But a thin heifer likely living as a recluse for 8 months decided to join my herd. Either for food, companionship or both.

she probably had been hanging around for a while just waiting and late at night when the moon is full and your girls and her standing back by the fence they told her to stay close and one day soon she could come over because this feller that we own will help you out.

M-5":ck3mr8lb said:
Bright Raven":ck3mr8lb said:
Caustic Burno":ck3mr8lb said:
Feed them.

she probably had been hanging around for a while just waiting and late at night when the moon is full and your girls and her standing back by the fence they told her to stay close and one day soon she could come over because this feller that we own will help you out.

Owned by my cows. That is so true.

I had a neighbor (I assume, couldn't prove it) take up 30' of wire and neatly fold it back to let two horses into my place a couple years ago. I had grass I'd been saving for when I weaned heifers, and he had those horses on 4 acres, so you can imagine how much grass they had.

Rafter S":12mf38sa said:
I had a neighbor (I assume, couldn't prove it) take up 30' of wire and neatly fold it back to let two horses into my place a couple years ago. I had grass I'd been saving for when I weaned heifers, and he had those horses on 4 acres, so you can imagine how much grass they had.

Get some cattle feed with bovatec in it and leave a nice big ol trough full call it a party favor for them stopping by

skyhightree1":fho4m7en said:
Rafter S":fho4m7en said:

Get some cattle feed with bovatec in it and leave a nice big ol trough full call it a party favor for them stopping by

I would not advise that in areas occupied by Redneck hillbillies. Does not matter if you are right. The war you start might be the war you die in.

Bright Raven":31z7koez said:
skyhightree1":31z7koez said:
Rafter S":31z7koez said:

I would not advise that in areas occupied by Redneck hillbillies. Does not matter if you are right. The war you start might be the war you die in.

Yeah maybe just open the gate that leads out of your pature and make sure they go through it.

There is a profound reason things stay as civil as they are out here among us hillbillies. It is because no one goes too far. A hillbilly has more pride than Carver has Little Liver pills. You kill a man's dog or horse and the matter will 9 times out of 10 be settled when someone is on the ground.

Bright Raven":70d075k7 said:
skyhightree1":70d075k7 said:
Rafter S":70d075k7 said:

Hey if your raising cattle and that's their feed on your land and there horses " get " into that's their problem.

callmefence":t5lqtb44 said:
You kill a rednecks dog and he'll apologize for his dog being in your pasture. And offer to pay you for your trouble.

That is very TRUE. I have seen both sides of that coin. It depends on the circumstances.

skyhightree1":2byq2oce said:
Bright Raven":2byq2oce said:
skyhightree1":2byq2oce said:

Hey if your raising cattle and that's their feed on your land and there horses " get " into that's their problem.

I understand Sky. But that kind of response is very risky. You can be DEAD right.

Latest posts