Dragging Pasture Fields Yea or Nay

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you drag your pastures in the Spring?

• Yes

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 52.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I'm doing an experiment this year. I've drug half of a couple of fields and after about 30 days and some rain I'm going to go back and see if there is any noticeable difference in the grasses. No cows will be put in these fieldI personally like to drag my fields but I've read the articles that say it's a waste of fuel. I might still put a 3pt spreader on the back of the tractor, attach the drag and broadcast some clover and fescue as I drag to see if there is any noticeable difference as well.

Clear division between the two sides.

9171338D-5C4C-454A-BB82-FA7C07542DED.jpeg

I wouldn't touch them unless I was going to hay them. If I'm going to hay a field I fed on (and I usually do) I go over them with diamond harrows to knock the turds down and gather up the sisal.

I'm doing an experiment this year. I've drug half of a couple of fields and after about 30 days and some rain I'm going to go back and see if there is any noticeable difference in the grasses. No cows will be put in these fieldI personally like to drag my fields but I've read the articles that say it's a waste of fuel. I might still put a 3pt spreader on the back of the tractor, attach the drag and broadcast some clover and fescue as I drag to see if there is any noticeable difference as well.

Clear division between the two sides.

View attachment 3417
Where are you located? I like the lay of your land. Pretty place.

I tried it one time. Seemed like a waste of time and I lost interest pretty quickly. Glad I tried it with the diamond harrows before I bought the 3pt heavy tine harrows I was looking at for $5000.

I suggest buying land and cattle until you always have something better to do, lol.

The cows here get fed on the hay fields. Everyone drags those fields. I have already done half of my that the cows got moved off back the end of January. I will drag the part they are on now once the cows head into the hills. Summer pasture is range land that you aren't going to drive a tractor on.

I plan to start spreading some well composted manure on our hay ground this year and was planning on dragging it with a homemade tire drag to work it in.

I use my side by side and a small chain harrow, seems to work well, i don't do all fields but ones i feed in i do.

We just spread black dirt composted manure on a hay field. I was thinking about dragging it - but all I have is a long bar with chain linked fence dragging behind it and another bar on back side of fence pulled with our quad. Only spread it on 4 acre field.

Jim Gerrish used to say that the only only real benefit of pasture-dragging was as a legal form of wealth transfer - paying your kids to drive the tractor. Pretty sure he was talking about dragging to break up manure pats, not to smooth/level pugged areas or excessive accumulations of waste hay... but in a pure 'pasture' setting - not talking hayfield - even those might not really be worth the expenditure of time, fuel, wear & tear on equipment.
But... I know... some of you justify "tractor-drivin' time" as stress relief.

Jim Gerrish used to say that the only only real benefit of pasture-dragging was as a legal form of wealth transfer - paying your kids to drive the tractor. Pretty sure he was talking about dragging to break up manure pats, not to smooth/level pugged areas or excessive accumulations of waste hay... but in a pure 'pasture' setting - not talking hayfield - even those might not really be worth the expenditure of time, fuel, wear & tear on equipment.
But... I know... some of you justify "tractor-drivin' time" as stress relief.
And versus the price of a shrink that can be very cost effective therapy.

On the areas with a concentration of poo piles and spots i have fed whole bales, I do drag em. It thins the hay out so stuff can grow thru. And it makes some pretty grass where the poo is drug down.

If there is few piles to knock down, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
If you have a lot of hay in those areas I wonder if it wouldn't be just as good to pile it up and let it compost. If you've fed outside a hay ring then you have a layer of carbon and nitrogen which is a pretty good recipe for compost IMO.

Latest posts