Drag for pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwriter

Reaction score
Can any of you show me what you use for a drag in your pastures? I would appreciate any input/advice you have on dragging to scatter manure.

I use worn out tractor tires chained together to pull behind the tractor. I've also seen heavy corral panels used. A 15 ft length of railroad track works good too!

Thanks. We have way more grass than our cows can eat anyway and are still retaining heifers to build the herd, but I do notice so many areas that they won't eat because of manure and would like to make sure this isn't a problem as our herd increases. We've also cleared some timber and are in the looooooooonng labor-intensive process of turning that land into pasture, so I'm sure we will have more uses for whatever contraption we come up with than just spreading manure.
Any other thoughts?

Tyres and rails sound OK and I would add to that a rusty bed frame . It can be used to run over intebnded new pasture after you have broadcast the seed

We have a easy source of Eastern Red Cedars cut the size you want use it for a drag. Does a good job. You can have a heavy drag or light drag depends on the size of tree.

Old rear tractor tires, small ones, all chained together in twos or threes. Don't use big tractor tires because they are way too heavy especially when they get filled with dirt and manure. Sometimes you have to flip them on top of each other to get through gates and big ones get way too heavy plus they pull harder. Tire dealers are happy to give them to you so they don't have to pay disposal on them.

If you drag the piles when they are fresh they will smear like peanut butter. Makes real good sun dried organic fertilizer.

Latest posts