Dr. Seuss

Help Support CattleToday:

I believe the cancel culture has gotten out of hand but the likes of defending some of the offensive things that have occurred been portrayed about people of color in this country is ridiculous as well. On one hand it's ,"it happens in the past so let it be", but those same images, words, policies, etc have had an effect on today. There's got to be a happy median other than just deal with it and move on

Of course not. I don't condone vandalism.

That doesn't mean that some vandals don't have a point. They're just going about getting their message across the wrong way.
The point is that the woke liberals are freedom fighters and I should feel guilty for be a white, successful, middle class man. Isn't that the point? I got everything in life stepping on those less fortunate didn't I?
I was fixing fences with a headlamp on while the liberals were crying about white privilege.

In other words, they did indeed feel pressured by contemporary societal changes to 'do the right thing'.
That's okay too. Denying that tho, is not.
This is the correct answer. There was no pressure campaign like the right-wing media would have you believe. It is just another "catchphrase" they use to keep their viewers riled up.

Times change and so do social norms.

Is there any implication that liberals are not or cannot be racist? My view is that racist is a trait that is independent of liberal or conservative, rich or poor, educated or not, black or white, "religious" or not.
No one said that they couldn't be. The point of this discussion is the fact that Seuss enterprises decided to stop selling some of their books because of racist depictions. But, that does not make Seuss a "liberal icon" as was stated.

Anyone see where Coke was promoting to be "less White"....some sensitivity type training..... and then turns out their stock tanked on the stock market, and then Coca Cola came out and said that they did not support those statements.... come to find out it came from a "regional diversity training " or something ........ in CALIFORNIA........ gee..... why am I not surprised
There was a story that came out and ALL of the board members of Coke were white with pictures

I can agree with that. I think that's distinctly different from the claims that Dr. Seuss is being cancelled by a "woke" liberal mob. There were no torches, pitchforks, or ultimatums.

If the pen is indeed mightier than the sword, then social calls for change, both vocally and in text make the proverbial 'torches, pitchforks and ultimatums' pale in comparison to any physical mob..

Exactly which demographic did/does Dr. Suess's publishers feel pressured by to 'do the right thing'?

The way things are viewed comes largely in the sense of the old saying about walking a mile in someone else's shoes. We can think we know or at least have a pretty good idea of what is or isn't the way things are. each of our life experiences are different just as how we handle these experiences are different. It's easy to point out a perceived problem for someone else and go to the old pull up by the bootstrap adage. My views have changed on lots of things over the years. The words and descriptions that my grandparents and parents generations and many from my generation used were not acceptable in most crowds during my life. The fact that some things were offensive to some were being understood and a lot of society recognized and changed wording and stereotypes came to be not appropriate. I don't know anything about these books in the op, but probably they were published in a much different time period socially, and probably have references that are out of touch with contemporary times. The continuing of stereotypes from one generation to the next is what perpetuates a lot of problems. Most people understand that logic and try to move forward once a problematic issue has been recognized.

If the pen is indeed mightier than the sword, then social calls for change, both vocally and in text make the proverbial 'torches, pitchforks and ultimatums' pale in comparison to any physical mob..

Exactly which demographic did/does Dr. Suess's publishers feel pressured by to 'do the right thing'?
All of his characters were made up.
I can understand if you see parts of history as offensive.
The idiocy comes in trying to erase it dooming generations to repeat it.
All I have seen from erasure in my lifetime is more hatred driven unground.
We used to know how people really felt before the PC BS.
All forced compliance breeds is more hate.
But IMO that is what the left strives for. More division to divide and conquer.

People who are outraged about a few unpopular books being discontinued or a toy changing its name seriously need to find a hobby. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing, but this sure is a dumb thing to dwell on.
Regretfully those same people that are making those changes are the ones that want to do away with cow farts and eliminate livestock production.

Those darn liberals and there cancel culture. It's not a new thing, I remember them turning backs on and booing Carrie Underwood at an FFA convention, and of course the whole Dixie Chick controversy. Wish the libs would be more accepting of other views like us conservatives.

Woke definition: "aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues" Merriam-Webster.

It must be another catchphrase of the Conservative Media like using the word "patriot" to describe insurrectionists.

Woke definition: "aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues" Merriam-Webster.

It must be another catchphrase of the Conservative Media like using the word "patriot" to describe insurrectionists.
Woke is a slang term that is easing into the mainstream from some varieties of a dialect called African American Vernacular English (sometimes called AAVE). In AAVE, awake is often rendered as woke, as in, "I was sleeping, but now I'm woke." 'Woke' is increasingly used as a byword for social awareness.

I was taught using slang to be inappropriate in daily discourse. I would think as a reasonably educated person you would know that Mr. Terry.

Woke is a slang term that is easing into the mainstream from some varieties of a dialect called African American Vernacular English (sometimes called AAVE). In AAVE, awake is often rendered as woke, as in, "I was sleeping, but now I'm woke." 'Woke' is increasingly used as a byword for social awareness.

I was taught using slang to be inappropriate in daily discourse. I would think as a reasonably educated person you would know that Mr. Terry.
You are the one that posted something that said "Woke" I just looked up the meaning because I have never heard it used. I guess that is because I don't watch Fox or any of the other crazy right week channels.

You are the one that posted something that said "Woke" I just looked up the meaning because I have never heard it used. I guess that is because I don't watch Fox or any of the other crazy right week channels.
You don't have to brag about your left wing bonafides to me, I knew you were not a Republican several years ago when you joined us.

Latest posts