Dr. Seuss

Help Support CattleToday:

You have the right to use profanity all you want somewhere else.
No one is infringing on your right to leave in fact I encourage you to seek your happy place.
The board will continue to operate the way is was when you joined. No one forced you to join you did so voluntarily.
I'm not complaining about the policy. I think it's nice and contributes to the level of discourse. We should all strive to be kind to each other and make all of our fellow citizens feel welcome. If that means some words, team names, books, statues, etc. get the axe, so be it.

People who rail against "political correctness" are really just mad that they're facing consequences for being jerks. It doesn't hurt anything to be nice.

But if WE vandalize the statues and tear them down it's not okay is it?
Of course not. I don't condone vandalism.

That doesn't mean that some vandals don't have a point. They're just going about getting their message across the wrong way.

"Between January 1941 and January 1943, Seuss created more than 400 political cartoons for the left-wing daily New York newspaper PM. He attacked the America First policies espoused by Lindbergh and others, who wanted to prevent the US entering World War Two; he lampooned Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin and Benito Mussolini; and he pleaded for racial tolerance."

Dr. Seuss was an admitted racist that later apologized for it. He was hardly a liberal icon.
Is there any implication that liberals are not or cannot be racist? My view is that racist is a trait that is independent of liberal or conservative, rich or poor, educated or not, black or white, "religious" or not. When I was young, the message seemed to be that southerners were racist - simply by location and place of birth. When I entered the work force and traveled over our great country, I saw first hand that the North was certainly no different than the South in regards to racist talk and attitudes and action.

I guess I need to look at the definitions of liberal and racism. But never thought they were mutually exclusive.

Is there any implication that liberals are not or cannot be racist? My view is that racist is a trait that is independent of liberal or conservative, rich or poor, educated or not, black or white, "religious" or not. When I was young, the message seemed to be that southerners were racist - simply by location and place of birth. When I entered the work force and traveled over our great country, I saw first hand that the North was certainly no different than the South in regards to racist talk and attitudes and action.

I guess I need to look at the definitions of liberal and racism. But never thought they were mutually exclusive.
Exactly ...

Opinion columns? D- on the homework.

Nobody forced the rights holders to stop printing the book. They did it because they felt it was the right thing to do, and now the conservative outrage machine is reinforcing their decision by giving them all kinds of media attention that will drive book sales.
Why, after all this time, did they suddenly decide to 'do the right thing'?

Much like the notion that only whites are racist or that racism can only be directed at people of "color". There are plenty of people of all races and nationalities that are racist. If they are honest the amount of hatred and discrimination coming out of Democratic Party/ left wing side of society right now rivals any racial hatred this country has seen.

Why, after all this time, did they suddenly decide to 'do the right thing'?
TImes change and standards change. What was considered acceptable when those books were printed is no longer acceptable today. That's not a knock on Dr. Seuss. The books are a product of a different time, and some of them ought to be left there.

This isn't a new phenomenon. Societal norms have always evolved, and some old cranks have always lamented the "kids these days" ruining the world. I certainly don't talk about race in the same terms that my great-grandfather would have used, and I'm sure my great-grandkids will feel the same way about me some day. That's okay.

Anyone see where Coke was promoting to be "less White"....some sensitivity type training..... and then turns out their stock tanked on the stock market, and then Coca Cola came out and said that they did not support those statements.... come to find out it came from a "regional diversity training " or something ........ in CALIFORNIA........ gee..... why am I not surprised

TImes change and standards change. What was considered acceptable when those books were printed is no longer acceptable today. That's not a knock on Dr. Seuss. The books are a product of a different time, and some of them ought to be left there.

This isn't a new phenomenon. Societal norms have always evolved, and some old cranks have always lamented the "kids these days" ruining the world. I certainly don't talk about race in the same terms that my great-grandfather would have used, and I'm sure my great-grandkids will feel the same way about me some day. That's okay.
In other words, they did indeed feel pressured by contemporary societal changes to 'do the right thing'.
That's okay too. Denying that tho, is not.

In other words, they did indeed feel pressured by contemporary societal changes to 'do the right thing'.
That's okay too. Denying that tho, is not.
I can agree with that. I think that's distinctly different from the claims that Dr. Seuss is being cancelled by a "woke" liberal mob. There were no torches, pitchforks, or ultimatums.

I'm going to sit nicely out of this one ladies and gentlemen. 🙌🏾

Latest posts