Dr. Naylor's Dehorning Paste

Help Support CattleToday:

The heifer is fine today, she no longer has 'the slows'. I guess she was just worn out.

Dr. Naylors website says the paste in a strong alkali not an acid. The antidote for washing it off a cow's udder or smeared all over itself by the calf is straight vinegar. She would have smeared it too, she was going nuts, thats why I cross tied and hobbled her. 6 hours of going nuts is hard on a calf.

Now there are 2 black quarter sized caved in spots where her horns would have been. I had thought of just leaving the horns but Jersey horns are thin and sharp as daggers. The shape grows out and up in the hook and toss style. I figured it would be my old pet Jersey would get the worst of it in herd dominance battles so I got rid of the horns.

Sounds like you took care of the horn buds ! It'll heal over and grow hair back and you'll have a polled jersey . Lol

If you know how to use a hot iron dehorner, get a piece of pipe, copper, thin wall metal, whatever the fits over the nub. Fashion a handle out of wood and heat with a propane torch and burn.

You mean the smell of a running still, right? And the product is a good anesthetic and also sterilizes the area.

Latest posts