Dr. Charles Stanley

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":3d3ej9uv said:
He helped me through a rough time. I think a lot of him. I think he lost his way a few years ago but think he is back on track now from what I can tell.

Joe, have you ever met Dr.Stanley?

Larry

It is probably a regional thing but I don't recognize any of those names. There isn't much TV or radio preaching air here. On the other hand I certainly recognized Andy Stanley. We do a video series at church every Wednesday night. The ones by Andy are always my favorites. Just last night we watched part 6 of his series "Follow". Andy has mentioned on these various videos that his dad is a preacher but I always took it that his dad was a preacher in some small church so it is interesting to hear otherwise.

Dave, go to intouch.org and watch his sermons. You can watch the sermon for that Sunday which come on in the morning here at 8:00 in the morning. But it remains on the site and is archived. It is worth checking out. He takes the bible, reads the scripture, and turns it into a story often. Like when David killed Goliath. He can hold your attention through the entire sermon. I have heard his son Stanley and I like him too. What I like about Charles, is that he speaks slowly and is not in a hurry. He is about 82 years old now.

larryshoat":3735ol46 said:
Jogeephus":3735ol46 said:
He helped me through a rough time. I think a lot of him. I think he lost his way a few years ago but think he is back on track now from what I can tell.

Joe, have you ever met Dr.Stanley?

Larry

Never met him just read and listened to him on a very regular basis. I know a few people who attend his church - or did.

Anyone heard of Dr. J Vernon McGee? He was on late at night when I was driving home. Preferred talk radio to stay awake. I think he's been gone for some time, and i think his radio messages were recorded 30 years or so ago... I don't know if that is accurate, but something i heard makes me think so. Anyway, the way he talks makes me think of a generation of people that have just about past on. To me, he sounds just like Andy Griffith. I picture Andy giving the sermon in my mind.

http://www.ttb.org/listen.aspx?parentnavigationid=21777

I just check, since he was born around 1900, I bet those messages are 30 years or better. But they still apply. Funny how with all the progress, the human condition hasn't really changed.

Commercial Farmer, I listened to Dr. McGee. He is good. After I listened to him I wanted to see where he was from, and he is from my area. I saw where he preached in Los Angeles for a while. As much trouble as we have going West or North, he was a brave soul. :lol2:
I will go to his Archives and see if I can catch the beginning of a series. I think I was at the end on this one, but I did enjoy it.

Hagee is a scumbag. My sister attends the Cornerstone church in San Antonio and I get to hear how wonderful he is.

BUT

He owns a multi-million dollar 8000 acre ranch near Bracketville, a home in the Dominion, a plane, along with the horses TB mentioned. He committed adultery and divorced his wife for a much younger woman from his congregation. He pays himself well over a million dollars a year too. The guy is about the least godly preacher you can find.

Commercialfarmer":2kujd6qt said:
Anyone heard of Dr. J Vernon McGee? He was on late at night when I was driving home. Preferred talk radio to stay awake. I think he's been gone for some time, and i think his radio messages were recorded 30 years or so ago... I don't know if that is accurate, but something i heard makes me think so. Anyway, the way he talks makes me think of a generation of people that have just about past on. To me, he sounds just like Andy Griffith. I picture Andy giving the sermon in my mind.

http://www.ttb.org/listen.aspx?parentnavigationid=21777

I just check, since he was born around 1900, I bet those messages are 30 years or better. But they still apply. Funny how with all the progress, the human condition hasn't really changed.

I use to listen to Dr Magee's Thru The Bible radio program almost every day. That was after his death CF so the series is recorded. I can't find a station that plays it now but I have the entire series in hard back. It's definitely my go to when I have a tough question.

IMAG2010.jpg

I like Dr. Mcgee too. His preaching is just as relevant today as it was when he recorded it and it will be a thousand years from now for those that choose to listen.

Larry

lovehammer":3o5hstjj said:
Hagee is a scumbag. My sister attends the Cornerstone church in San Antonio and I get to hear how wonderful he is.

BUT

He owns a multi-million dollar 8000 acre ranch near Bracketville, a home in the Dominion, a plane, along with the horses TB mentioned. He committed adultery and divorced his wife for a much younger woman from his congregation. He pays himself well over a million dollars a year too. The guy is about the least godly preacher you can find.

This sort of approach from pastors is really rather sad.

Our pastor is a computer programmer and doesn't draw a penny from the church ... this way there will never be a big money family who will think they can tell him, "You can't preach about that!"

WalnutCrest":1j7v38k0 said:
Our pastor is a computer programmer and doesn't draw a penny from the church ... this way there will never be a big money family who will think they can tell him, "You can't preach about that!"
Sounds like your church has a good one there. Hang on to him and let him preach the word...So many want full-time salary for being the pastor part time and working full=time at another job.

TexasBred":2dp9ga5l said:
WalnutCrest":2dp9ga5l said:
Sounds like your church has a good one there. Hang on to him and let him preach the word...So many want full-time salary for being the pastor part time and working full=time at another job.

He's a very interesting guy --- been on multiple archaeological digs in the middle east looking for OT and NT evidence (which was found during the digs) ... quit seminary when his thesis advisor became more involved in the politics of the seminary than getting into the word, once gave away his entire 401(k) to the church he was attending at the time (while he was in seminary and programming computers) because he was putting too much trust in his retirement account and not enough in God, etc.

He and I share an affinity to a particular non-biblical author, and this other guy says that it takes 10,000 hours at something to be an expert. Our pastor says that since he's only spent about 6,000 studying the Bible in its original languages that he still has a ways to go before he's an expert. I wish more pastors took the time to read and understand the text in its original languages ... it sure helps him make sense of confusing passages for the rest of us.

He told me once that of the half-dozen or so people he thinks are most Christlike, none are pastors.

He is a good one and I'm thankful to be under his teaching.

Had a good friend that was a Baptist minister. When the Church did not receive enough money in donations each month to meet their budget needs he would refuse to accept his salary. Said he had only had to do it a couple of times, once in Ohio and once in Texas but he survived. He must be in his late 70's now and still preaching. Retired once for about 3 weeks. I betcha he's not drawing a salary now from the little church he's pastoring. :nod:

I don't know that compensation is just black and white, or at least in my mind. Some questions that have come to mind:

If they don't deserve more compensation for more work, then why do I?

Is the pastor of 100 getting 17% of the tithe offering more or less righteous than one receiving 7% from 10,000?

Do I hold them to a standard of living I'm not willing to accept, but willing to throw stones at them if they can't?

Some of the more popular ones make money from things away from the congregation, like book sells and such. Should they not be allowed to have financial success?

And most went to some type of private bible college or whatnot to get their seminary degree. Those aren't cheap. I know cause my wife came with the bill.

Is there fraud- for sure. I've witnessed it while working in a business. I can't imagine answering for that.
I think the answer may lie in what each person puts first in their life. The fraudulent person sure wasn't placing God there. But when my plate runs over and Im not sharing, I maybe no better.

I've also seen a man give his life for the work and struggle to get by in the end. The man spent his life rebuilding churches that needed it. Once it was going really good, he would move on. Because of that, he never made much from the church and worked other jobs to make ends meet. At the end, he had no house because he never bought one, no real retirement.

I know that his reward isn't here, but it's not easy to see that. I feel a need to take care of him, and I try.

Latest posts