Dozers

Help Support CattleToday:

I kinda keep current on iron prices because I have a D4 with a Traxcavator loader I started to restore for my personal use, but got lazy, tired, bored and decided if China will bring the price back up some....I'll remove that landmark. But I'm sure there are some parts on it much more valuable then scrap price.

$1000 for a crawler that will load itself, leaves a lot of room financially to keep it going and get some work out of it.

skyhightree1":ea4174dt said:
Supa Dexta":ea4174dt said:
How do you keep the tracks on it?

I have a case 450

It needs to be adjusted and pumped up to tighten them some but it stays on great till you go fast. I usually only use it to lift stuff lately around home this hasn't been on a job site in years.

Loosest tracks I've ever seen. If a guy needs a cat---and isn't planning on having to move it any farther than he can walk it---big is good. Every body can use a 4,5, 6, old 7. But any time you gotta start dropping attachments and hiring heavy haulers, 'for my own use' guys lose interest.

You get up into an 8 or 9, they're owned by construction co's and them guys gotta stay a little current. I passed on a really fine old D9---got a nice old D7--but coulda got the 9 for 10 grand. A two week job that was handy woulda bought it, but I didn't have one.

skyhightree1":13ovetjm said:
Supa Dexta":13ovetjm said:

I have a case 450

It needs to be adjusted and pumped up to tighten them some but it stays on great till you go fast. I usually only use it to lift stuff lately around home this hasn't been on a job site in years.

You have to have a grease gun with a special fitting to pump up the tracks.

Weve got a 350 but it's not a loader. Has a 6 way blade. It was a retired forestry department tractor. Weighs 10,000 pounds. Move it if needed with a 1/2 ton pickup. Put about 5000 hours on it and didn't do anything but rebuild the starter and routine maintenance. Since then we have rebuilt the whole undercarriage and done some brake work. It's not that terrible of a job. Paid $10k for it about 18 years ago and since that time we've put about 8000 hours on it and probably spent $7k more in maintenance. 8000 hours for $17000 plus operating costs has been a good investment. Very convenient machine. A little small but handy. Still runs strong today.

skyhightree1":3gwrdrql said:
This is the best deal I got $1000 bucks sat in the woods 3 years guy said grand its yours put battery new fuel oil antifreeze fired up drove it on the trailer. It needs some work on it that will get done in the fall but for a couple years of cleaning its done great.

IMG_20160801_200811228_HDR_zps4y46odku.jpg
Can you take a couple links out of the tracks. When I worked construction we had an old D6 Cat that the tracks were floppy like that and wouldn't tighten no more with a grease gun. I helped the mechanic take a backhoe and pull the track adjustment in as far as possible. We took two section/links out and took the backhoe and pull the tracks together and drove a new pin in. The D6 was still going when I left and the tracks were tight.

JMJ Farms":3ly84hmj said:
skyhightree1":3ly84hmj said:
Supa Dexta":3ly84hmj said:

I have a case 450

Weve got a 350 but it's not a loader. Has a 6 way blade. It was a retired forestry department tractor. Weighs 10,000 pounds. Move it if needed with a 1/2 ton pickup. Put about 5000 hours on it and didn't do anything but rebuild the starter and routine maintenance. Since then we have rebuilt the whole undercarriage and done some brake work. It's not that terrible of a job. Paid $10k for it about 18 years ago and since that time we've put about 8000 hours on it and probably spent $7k more in maintenance. 8000 hours for $17000 plus operating costs has been a good investment. Very convenient machine. A little small but handy. Still runs strong today.

You could tension the tracks with a standard grease gun on my D3G Cat.

Margonme":3udpod04 said:
JMJ Farms":3udpod04 said:
skyhightree1":3udpod04 said:

For all I know it's a John Deere thing. Maybe only on the older ones. The end we have looks like a horseshoe that's solid on on side. Rather than pushing it onto the fitting it slides over the fitting from the side. Pretty neat actually.

It's called a "button head fitting"

JMJ Farms":c505v97s said:
Margonme":c505v97s said:
JMJ Farms":c505v97s said:

As far as I know it's a John Deere thing. Maybe only on the older ones. The end we have looks like a horseshoe that's solid on on side. Rather than pushing it onto the fitting it slides over the fitting from the side. Pretty neat actually.

There is only one dozer! If it ain't a Cat, it ain't a Dozer. :cboy:

Margonme":2sh6vuqx said:
JMJ Farms":2sh6vuqx said:
Margonme":2sh6vuqx said:

As far as I know it's a John Deere thing. Maybe only on the older ones. The end we have looks like a horseshoe that's solid on on side. Rather than pushing it onto the fitting it slides over the fitting from the side. Pretty neat actually.

I like a CAT machine. But my pocketbook don't. The older Deere equipment we have has been pretty reliable. We've got and old Ford 555A backhoe that IMO should be in an antique museum. I hate it. But it runs and works. If you ever run some of this newer equipment it spoils you. Unfortunately most of the newer stuff I've ran belongs to someone else :lol:

JMJ Farms":1cizdohg said:
Margonme":1cizdohg said:
JMJ Farms":1cizdohg said:

I like a CAT machine. But my pocketbook don't. The older Deere equipment we have has been pretty reliable. We've got and old Ford 555A backhoe that IMO should be in an antique museum. I hate it. But it runs and works. If you ever run some of this newer equipment it spoils you. Unfortunately most of the newer stuff I've ran belongs to someone else :lol:

I cannot imagine running one of the old old cable dozers. Those guys were good. I have to have a Joystick machine!!!

Margonme":2jlgzw3p said:
JMJ Farms":2jlgzw3p said:
Margonme":2jlgzw3p said:

I cannot imagine running one of the old old cable dozers. Those guys were good. I have to have a Joystick machine!!!

Yeah that's before my time. Ours has two levers between your knees. The joysticks are a huge improvement even over that.

You younguns :roll: --greaseguns is for rollers and real men use clutch levers and brake pedals.
I have run the cable dozers. An Allis Chalmers HD10--you adjusted the idler with a big threaded rod and nut, and when ya ran out of adjustment, you took a torch and cut some some U shaped shims out of 1/4" plate. When we moved up to a hyd TD14 I thought we were in high cotton--still had the levers and pedals tho, and the big threaded rod and nut for idler adjustment...

The original grease gun for the button head fittings was an oval shaped container a couple of feet tall with a hand pump and a 5' (or so) hose that fit the button heads. You bought the grease by volume to fill the container.

It's a low pressure pump. You only pump until you feel a slight resistance. You pump too much and the seals get pushed out. That's the risk of using the modified high pressure guns often used on typical grease fittings.

I've got two of them setting in the barn.

greybeard":d9a55o3z said:
You younguns :roll: --greaseguns is for rollers and real men use clutch levers and brake pedals.
I have run the cable dozers. An Allis Chalmers HD10--you adjusted the idler with a big threaded rod and nut, and when ya ran out of adjustment, you took a torch and cut some some U shaped shims out of 1/4" plate. When we moved up to a hyd TD14 I thought we were in high cotton--still had the levers and pedals tho, and the big threaded rod and nut for idler adjustment...

I can relate to this Greybeard. I cleared my properly any pushed my pond out with a Cat D6 9U. Pony motor and all. You need 3 arms when working an old straight shift.

The starting motors are great, you can start when it's really, really cold. starting motor exhaust kinda goes thru big motor intake, You got a two speed trans and no, half, or full compression.

A cable dozer is quick, you can drop it like a rock. And can kinda feel how hard you're cutting. But only dozer weight for down pressure. If you're logging, etc, rough country---you want to have dozer 'hobbled' to hard nose with cable. Without, you can hook a stump or rock, break your cable, walk right thru your C-frame and your dozer is now behind you---upside down, still hooked up.

Latest posts