dozer or loader?

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
i have 2 farms that i am having some logging done about 15 acre on each farm with one being pine and hardwood mix and the other small pine. the one with all pine the stumps are smaller than a 5 gallon bucket, but the other property has some pine 20" or little bigger and hardwood about the same. on both property i need to do alot of pushing up stumps and piling brush, leveling ground, and little bit of road work. id like to have a 4 in 1 loader but not sure if it would hold up to all them stumps.i plan to let the stumps lay about a year and hope they will come up alittle easier than freshly cut. ( i know to dig under them instead of pushing against them.)but i also like the idea of a 6 way because it would be easier to level ground on my hillsides. what do yall recommend type and size? i think i would recommend cat or case.

First of all go with a cat or a Deere, forget about a case track machine.

Your probably not going to want to buy a big enough 6 way dozer to remove 20 inch stumps, 6 way dozers are great but a track loader is alot more versatile.

I have done work like your talking about for years and I honestly wouldn't make a 4 in 1 a must have, it would be ok, but it's certainly not necessary.

Not knowing what age machine you are looking for or what you want to spend, I will recommend a 943 cat loader as what my first choice would be for a farm machine for your work. My second choice would be a 939 cat or 555 John Deere size michine.

JW IN VA":1uu00civ said:
Does your logger have a dozer? if so and its big enough maybe he can loosen up the roots and push the trees down then cut off the log.Later you just pile the stumps.

I don't know any loggers that do that anymore. Its too much manual work cutting them once on the ground and you will go through a ton of chains. When my grandfather logged and people wanted the stumps out we logged then came back with the dozer and plucked them out for a fee.

I personally prefer track loaders. I have 1 dozer and some track loaders with 4n1 can't beat 4n1 buckets. I do like trackhoes but I don't have one.

Trackhoe = excavator right? One of those with a thumb would probably work pretty well for digging up stumps... Little kid I knew called them "dig digs"

Denvermartin, why do you not like Case track machines? Local company has a 550 Case and I hear nothing but good things about it, small with tons of pushing power.

We have a JD 350B track loader, I can get some big rocks rolled, but it's undersized for any stump digging. The problem with all track equipment is it's SLOW... a wheel loader (Cat 966?) is it's quick.. you pick the stump up and drive over to your pile in a minute, you can move dirt over longer distances easily too. We also have an Allis HD6 dozer, manual blade adjust, I know that wouldn't be a good machine for stumping either, though we do have a root/rock rake for it.

I'd suggest a decent excavator first to get the stumps out of the ground, and a wheel loader to come in after and mover everything around and fill in the holes.. if the wheel loader has a grapple you really wouldn't need the 4 in 1

JW IN VA":uae4s8pi said:
Does your logger have a dozer? if so and its big enough maybe he can loosen up the roots and push the trees down then cut off the log.Later you just pile the stumps.

You're right JW. Never did understand why these dam loggers cut the tree off two feet above the ground and just leave the stump. They get what they want (the timber) but leave the land owner with unusable pasture. The thing about it is you can use the weight of the tree on it's way over to pull the stump out of the ground. After it's cut that advantage is gone.