Downpour in MO

Help Support CattleToday:

danl

Reaction score
I think you all almost got rid of me yesterday evening, I went back to check on the cows and It had been pouring down off and on all day. It let up a little so I headed back. Right before my gate there is a big ditch that goes under the county road.
When I came over the hill I was amazed to see water running over the road, never has happened before. I know you aren't supposed to drive thru running water, but it was only about a foot deep. So I drove thru and parked at my gate and walked a 1/2 mile to visit the cattle. Was only gone about twenty minutes.

When I came back I noticed two trucks on the other side of the culvert, and a couple of guys standing looking down. I thought what are those yahoos doing, aint they ever seen rain water?

When I got closer they motioned for me to stop, so I got out, and there was only about 8 feet of road left in the middle. While we were talking it caved in. Leaving a gulley across the road about eight feet deep and ten or twelve feet across, and the Mississippi river going thru it.
What I didn't know was the tinhorn had rotted out and all the water was eroding the roadbed from underneath. I was lucky to get across it going in.
Anyway, I parked my truck back in the field and waded out and caught a ride back to the house. My truck is still stranded, there is another way in but I will have to wait til the creek goes down and it's still pouring down...

Moral of the story when the weather guys say don't drive thru flood waters you should probably listen.
Dan

danl":1yd9j2hk said:
Moral of the story when the weather guys say don't drive thru flood waters you should probably listen.
Dan

The mantra of the local weather yokels is, "Turn around, don;t drown". The sad part is that everytime we get water over the roads some one doesn;t turn around!

We all have a tendency to do things like that I think.Kinda like "Hold my beer and watch this".

Cal

bigbull338":1k54figo said:
man it did flood where you are.it flooded that bad in dallas as well.

I don't know what else those folks could expect. They keep adding acre after acre of concrete, asphault roads, and roof lines. The water has no where to go but into the drainage ditches, then into the creeks, and then into the rivers.

There are places that used to get 5 inches of rain with no problem. Now just two inches the creeks arre out of their banks and people who lived downstream for 40 years with no problem are under 6 feet of water.

People are still coming. More malls, more parking lots, more houses, and more roads. No wonder all the the water tables are dropping even with record rains last year.

dyates":pw54cart said:
Famous last words of a redneck: "Hey fellas, watch this!"

For a brief fleeting moment the thought crossed my mind that I could make if I got going fast enough.
:D

But the cautious side took over and my truck is still back in the field.
At least the cows are in another field. I was cutting trees Saturday and when I came back to my old work truck it had two freshly caved in spots, I guess the cows got bored.

By the way the old work truck is not the one that is stranded..

I was in Louisville Kentucky for the past 4 days and wow did it rain!!! We have not had rain here in my part of North Dakota since the end of June 07. For me it was nice to see and SMELL the rain . I sure wish I could have brought some home with me.

When the wife crossed the Gasconade river on I-44 the water was running 2 feet over the interstate. At 9:30 pm it crested at 34.54 feet, flood stage is 21 feet.

Latest posts