Downed heifer, late in pregnancy.

Help Support CattleToday:

dimka1980

Reaction score
Hi folks, I run into some problems and wanted to ask for some help. I have a heifer down for few days, I can't get it up. She eats and drinks well, seems no problem. As much as it can be frustrated to cull the heifer that late into the pregnancy, I also want to know what are the reasons that can cause this. I think that maybe heifer is somewhat on a smaller frame size and carrying large calf, but not sure if that can keep her down.

had a cow that would be down for a day or so at a time. she would get up on her front legs but not try to stand without help. she was close to calving. vet checked her and thought that the calf was pinching a nerve in her back. she had trouble even after calving but did seem better and raised that calf with no problem. that was two years ago and I still have her. it is not uncommon to see her with her butt on the ground and front legs holder her front part up. she is on the cull list now after this calf.

They did overwinter on hay. Here is a walkthrough of the herd, I am not a pro to assign a BCS score, and would appreciate your feedback. Are they too thin, need more feed. I added about 2 pounds a day of grinded oats about a since about a week to 10 days ago.

I may have missed something, but the ones I saw in the video appear to be in good bcs, especially for the time of year. None that I would consider to be a risk for getting weak and a downer based off of condition alone.

I'd put some of those cows - particularly those in the first frames - between BCS 2 and 3. You can see every rib, lateral spinous processes of vertebrae. Younger stock looks somewhat better - but they're probably not nursing calves.
Description of edema you found when you butchered that downer heifer suggests serous atrophy of fat, a hallmark of a cow that has depleted its body fat stores in the face of inadequate energy intake.

I agree with Lucky, some of those cows look quite thin - you shouldn't be able to see ribs through a winter hair coat. The people saying those cows look good live in climates where it doesn't really get cold.

Much of what appears to be adequate condition is rumen fill. Some of those heifers are BCS 2-3 with very full bellies. Need better quality forage and some energy.

Hi guys, thanks for feedback. I really would not put those heifers into 2-3 score by looking at them, but you really open my eyes into that. I also see that they are not crazy about going after oat, and it also confused me more. Ok, as for now, can you let me know what can I do now given that I am really within 2-3 weeks before calving to help them and make sure I minimize the possible loss? I am adding the oat, they are moved every day, grass is obviously staring to grow more by day, but I am afraid it won't come out full growth by the cavling time, and even that might be too late.

As much as it pains me, I would have your vet out. When those cows calves, do you know how to give a calcium IV. Do you have time to watch them? Time is critical if they milk fever

I gave calcium IM the one that I use allow that. I have heard they have cramps when having milk feaver, and also they do not eat normal. Mine was eating drinking and pooping just fine. Can it still be milk fever?

I'd put some of those cows - particularly those in the first frames - between BCS 2 and 3. You can see every rib, lateral spinous processes of vertebrae. Younger stock looks somewhat better - but they're probably not nursing calves.
Description of edema you found when you butchered that downer heifer suggests serous atrophy of fat, a hallmark of a cow that has depleted its body fat stores in the face of inadequate energy intake.
I wonder if I'm seeing the same video? Those cattle don't look like they're anywhere near a BCS 2-3. They look good with maybe 1 or 2 in there that either look a little thin but that may be due to age. Granted, Hereford are heavier boned animals and they really have to be abused to draw them down but I still think these cattle look good.

Thanks CVAR, I did not abuse them, at least I did not interned to. Indeed they overwinter on hay only, went through pretty harsh winter, with lots of snow and some rigid cold, but they had access to hay pretty much unlimited, and cleaned up good. Not sure if hay was best quality, but it looked ok to me.

also guys, can you let me know another thing...what can I do for the next 3 months to make sure they are in the best shape possible for breeding season....I plan to AI and then use cleaning bull on them.

Your cows look good coming out of a harsh winter. I would say the problem is not nutrition related. Possibly mineral or injury related.

Latest posts