Downed Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

nicholas1

Reaction score
She started feeling bad & away from the herd 1 mo. ago. Found her on side in mud by hayring. She got up seemed to be bloated. Put her in corral she laid down more than getting up but eating good. Nuflored her. Let her out 1 wk later. Vet draxon & Banamine. No diagnosis. Walked across pasture. and downed for 2 days. Then walked about 100' & knocked over by another cow. Vet determined she's 7 mo bred. no diagnosis. Been down 1 1/2 wks. Been hip lifting & front strap 3 X day. Vet came & determined back leg swollen. Needed to put her down or abort calf. Didn't think it was milk fever?Don't know what else to do. She'll stand with the lift a minute or two.

Fever? What is her manure like? I'm wondering if her heart or liver is going. If you have seen no improvement and had her on antibiotics then I am with Dun on this one.

Has she had loose minerals available? That is usually the problem around here. People put out mineral blocks that are 97% salt and think that's enough.

nicholas1":asvow0xe said:
She started feeling bad & away from the herd 1 mo. ago. Found her on side in mud by hayring. She got up seemed to be bloated. Put her in corral she laid down more than getting up but eating good. Nuflored her. Let her out 1 wk later. Vet draxon & Banamine. No diagnosis. Walked across pasture. and downed for 2 days. Then walked about 100' & knocked over by another cow. Vet determined she's 7 mo bred. no diagnosis. Been down 1 1/2 wks. Been hip lifting & front strap 3 X day. Vet came & determined back leg swollen. Needed to put her down or abort calf. Didn't think it was milk fever?Don't know what else to do. She'll stand with the lift a minute or two.

Again another poster that we have no clue to the region of the country.

If she were in my part of the world without seeing the bovine I would say she is ate up with liver flukes or brown stomach worms. Heavy infestations can cause serious problems, it is the right time in some areas . What do you worm with? Do you worm? What does under the cows jaw look like? Swollen?

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... n%2ccattle
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... d=Fasciola

If she is invested with liver flukes or brown stomach worms sounds like you paid about two thousand dollars in stupid tax. For something that six dollars or Ivomec+ would have cured. Stupid taxes are usually the best teacher seem to stick with you better. We have all paid them.

ga.prime":680ykzy6 said:
It's a common thing for the vet to not have a clue what the problem is any more than yourself.

God ain't that the truth! What is up with that?

Latest posts