Downed Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

kittyhawk1957

Reaction score
Two days ago our 8 year old cow that is close to calfing was on a slight hill and couldn't get her feet underneath her to be able to get up. Well, we wrestled her around and got her on even ground and sitting upright so that she could get up....well, no coaxing or shocker or anything would get her up. Later in the afternoon had a fella come with a bobcat and he very carefully raised her up and when she got her footing she was up on her own and she did walk and stand and walk some more. She was up well over an hour before she laid down. She hasn't been up since. Had the Vet come yesterday and gave her 2 bottles of the calcium as he thinks she is calcium deficient. She hasn't gotten up yet. She looks good and eating good and does move her legs. Any ideas? Our thinking is as long as she is eating and looking good not to "write" her off yet, maybe when she has the calf she will get up or she may never get up...anyone have any thoughts on this. Thanks

If she's within a week or 2 of calving have the vet induce her.

I agree are..

If she is really close to calving induce her ,a dextrose cocktail IV in the milk vein with some dex in it should do the trick..

The longer she stays down the greater the chance that she will never get up again.

Are her ears still cold ?

dun":1fd7wq4j said:
If she's within a week or 2 of calving have the vet induce her.

If I have the Vet to induce my cow to calf, will my cow be alright and be able to get up at some point after she calves? Do you think she is calcium deficient or maybe a pinched nerve caused by the calf? We have never had this happen before. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks

My experience is that she probably either has a really big calf in her or a set of twins. The calf or calves are putting to much of a draw on her system. Once she calves she will be fine. The main concern is how close she is to calving. I have seen calves that are probably 3 to 4 weeks early taken by C-section and live. The reality is that if she starts to go down hill you might be able to save the Cow and or the Calf with a C-Section. If she is close to calving and healthy you could probably induce her.

Latest posts