downed cow

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Has anyone had any dealings with neuro-muscular problems in cattle? Exactly what can I expect from the cow, if she recovers? Right now, she is down and can't get up. The vet gave me 2 shots to administer 48 hrs. apart. He said if she wasn't up within 5 days that she wouldn't ever get up. She is a limosine/charlois cross. Someone told me that these 2 breeds frequently exhibit this condition. Would she be likely to pass this predispostion to the problem to her future offspring?

[email protected]

What preceeded her going down? Did she calve? Is she milking? did she have a fever? Could it be polio? Iteme? How old is she? What about poisonous plants/ Toxins, oil wells? What was the vets suggestion of what it could be? Did he examine her? take blood?

any cow that goes down is usually a grave sign.

[email protected]

I'd be checking for calcium/phosphorus imbalance, or a magnesium/potassium tie up.

The other questions BWard asked need to be adressed, feed, did she just calve etc.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

> Has anyone had any dealings with
> neuro-muscular problems in cattle?
> Exactly what can I expect from the
> cow, if she recovers? Right now,
> she is down and can't get up. The
> vet gave me 2 shots to administer
> 48 hrs. apart. He said if she
> wasn't up within 5 days that she
> wouldn't ever get up. She is a
> limosine/charlois cross. Someone
> told me that these 2 breeds
> frequently exhibit this condition.
> Would she be likely to pass this
> predispostion to the problem to
> her future offspring? I wouldn't wait for that cow to get better, then get up. You should get her back on her feet soon as possible. You can support her with a sling fashioned from large tire tubes,lift is accomplished with a couple of come-alongs. Follow your vets advice as to medications. Then cull this cow and count your losses. Good luck.

Latest posts