Downed Cattle ban

Help Support CattleToday:

syork

Reaction score
I sure hope im not gonna step on any toes here. Im just confused a tad about this Downed Cattle ban. I think its wonderful we get this law on account of not having downed cattle in the food supply. I have been trying to do research on here havent found sqat, but im not very good at finding things on here. I heard on the news that the price of beef in the store was going to go up. The price of dog food was going to be triple of what you normally pay. Im wondering what you have heard and have you heard anything on the dog food prices?

Downer cows because of broken legs won't be slaughtered any more. I don't know what percentage of cows that would entail but I'd guess less than 1 out of 1000. I don't see that as a price mover.

This latest ruling only effects cows that go down after being inspected after arrival at the slaughterhouse. They previously had to be walking. Previously at whatever point they are inspected any cow down after that could be put into the production line. With this ruling it will now not be allowed. Any cow getting down will not procede into the beef supply for humans. Don't know what impact this will have but might make it harder to sell a very old, very week, or very crippled cow.

Adding to my previous post, this should not have any adverse effect on dog food prices. If anything I think it would provide more supply for it.
My dog food is chicken and rice so I guess I am ok.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm it.

syork":1cshpiph said:
I sure hope im not gonna step on any toes here. Im just confused a tad about this Downed Cattle ban. I think its wonderful we get this law on account of not having downed cattle in the food supply. I have been trying to do research on here havent found sqat, but im not very good at finding things on here. I heard on the news that the price of beef in the store was going to go up. The price of dog food was going to be triple of what you normally pay. Im wondering what you have heard and have you heard anything on the dog food prices?

Heard all this on the news?

Sensationalism and nothing more.

Besides - not many people would want a feverished downer dragged to the kill line with a chain and then killed, cut up and sent to the store for the wife to buy on sale.

It is a good thing.

No prob and not likely to have an effect - if it did that would mean there were a heck of a pile of downers being served up in the kitchen.

I'd let this one slide by.

Regards

Bez+

the rule is if a cow is not moble or walking good.they wont accept her.an if they go down on the truck they wont take them.if i have a cow thats in real bad shape i will not haul her to the sale.

I agree totally with what everyone said about the downer cows. I am glad they did it. I seen the videos and its horrible what they do to those poor cows. :frowns: I should rephrase my question. What was stated on the news was that the price of beef was going to go up as well as the dog food prices. What I am trying to get at: Is there any indication where any of you are at that backs up what the news in my area is saying? I went to Walmart and they have increased their prices up by about 5 dollars and I am hoping im not freaking out to soon. I have 7 dogs, 3 cats to feed and I sure cant handle anthor increase on dogfood. Its about time they did something about the downer cows. I havent bought beef in the store in ages on account of it. I took a young bull to the slaughter back in Jan. got it back last month sometime and it is good eating. No more beef in the store for me. I just want to know what im eating. At least I know it was killed in a humane way and I know where it grew up etc.

Like Ga Prime, I can't see this impacting dog food or meat case prices.
All the ingredients of dog food are down in price. I need a bag myself now, but I don't remember what I paid last time. I'd like to see the justification for increased price.

Yes it's a good ban. I can't see anybody taking a critter to market that has a chance of not making it standing.
In rare cases a young fed animal could be injured, broken leg or something. Not be able to stand, but otherwise perfectly healthy. In this case this animal would also be banned from the human food chain.

I don't think there is any risk at all from butchering the typical downer cow. I will take that 700 lbs of meat in my freezer. Unfortunately, this is a case where people let their emotions trump good science. We need the downer ban simply so we don't have to watch downers being moved by forklift on the nightly news.

Brandonm22":3l5p64mr said:
I don't think there is any risk at all from butchering the typical downer cow. I will take that 700 lbs of meat in my freezer. Unfortunately, this is a case where people let their emotions trump good science. We need the downer ban simply so we don't have to watch downers being moved by forklift on the nightly news.

Thats the only reason they have it. I wonder if they will ever put a clause in that allows for the humane butchering of downers, what ever that would be. This would hurt the dairy industry the most right? Most beef cattle aren't sold as downers, I always thought it was the old dairy cows that they got the last drop out of.

CattleHand":snie9835 said:
Brandonm22":snie9835 said:

Thats the only reason they have it. I wonder if they will ever put a clause in that allows for the humane butchering of downers, what ever that would be. This would hurt the dairy industry the most right? Most beef cattle aren't sold as downers, I always thought it was the old dairy cows that they got the last drop out of.

Most commercial downers aren't sold AS downers any more, the stockyards have increasingly stopped taking them. Most get stove up in the pot belly trailer on the way to the plant or in the pens waiting to get butchered. I do think that more dairy cows turn up as downers; but I have seen plenty of beef cows that somebody kept one year too many or somebody let a cow get too milked down or a cow just broke a leg in a gopher hole.