down heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

(User Above)":31xc9lly said:
: has anyone out there had previous experience(s) with down cows, and if so what was the final outcome? <p>Sometimes you win, and sometimes you don't. The younger the animal the better your chances are. The quicker she gets up the better off she will be in the long run. Use "Bute" or Banamine to reduce swelling, (usually you have swelling pressing on a nerve.) Don't forget to offer her water at least twice a day. We had a heifer down for several days. When she got up her posture was rather strange for a while. We kept her on good easy footing with no other animals around for a few days until she was steady on her feet. Over a period of a year she returned to normal posture. She went down due to a pasture breeding injury. She did get bred. She had her calf with no problems. Good Luck.
<br>
<br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

I agree with Diana. Our one experience was not good. We fed and watered her in the pasture for about a week, got her in a sling for another week. But she got sores and weaker so after two weeks or so we put her away. BUT my neighbor had a heifer lay in the pasture for a week while he fed and watered her, then she got up and walked away. I think if they don't get up pretty quick, they get weaker and that makes it more unlikely they will get up....good luck.
<br>

[email protected]

Well I think the outcome depends on age as well as how long the animal is down as well as the diagnosis. Pinched nerves after a difficult birth usually has a good outcome.Nerve damage after a difficult birth is permanent and should be dealt with quickly for humane reasons. A down cow for any other reason... depends on the reason more than anything.
<br>

(User Above)":dev29d4e said:
: has anyone out there had previous experience(s) with down cows, and if so what was the final outcome? <p>We have had several cows down after bad calving experiences. The nerves were semingly paralyzied to the back legs. If you can get them into a dry shelter you can roll them from side to side several times a day and keep water near. Out of the three heifers we have had experience with two have fully recovered and had healthy calves. One had a nerve damage and one leg kicked her other leg when she walked. She did however get up on her own after five weeks. A woman vet told me a secret after bad calving. If you immediately fill a rubber glove with ice and pack it inside her it will keep swelling to a minimum and protect the nerves a bit and when the i9ce mealts the cow will pass the rubber glove out. We know many people that don't want to go to all this trouble but it has saved us two heifers and they have had three calves since. Good luck.
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts