Down heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
Got a neighbor with a down heifer after a really hard pull. Calf was down for a day but we've got the calf up and doing pretty good at this point. Heifer has had banamine, dex, selenium, vitamin a&d. Picking her up three times a day with hip lift. She's eating and drinking good. Has feeling in her legs but no movement. Anything else we can do? What's her odds?

Keep working with her, and I hope she gets better. I'm sure others have better advice. Neighbor might should consider a Longhorn bull for his next heifers. Many say that is the way to go.

Yes, just keep working with her. Had the same exact thing happen to me last year with a heifer. Gave her the same stuff. Lifted her up twice a day. Seemed like she had no feeling in her bag legs. Made a pen next to the barn so I could get to her with the loader and lift her up. I was about to give up and then one morning I looked out the window and there she was, standing up on her own. That was a GREAT feeling. 22 days it took. I got a little condition on her and to the salebarn she went.

As long as she will eat and drink and try to live then I will keep trying to help her. And she's not even mine. Loves her baby though and the calf nurses when we pick the heifer up.

Cibster, how long did you keep her up each time?

One of my vet school profs, back in the day, had a Gelbvieh heifer with calving paralysis... drug her into a chicken house on the farm... didn't really have a way to pick her up, but bedded her thick with hay/straw and flipped her from side to side four times a day for a full month - she still had fight and will to live - and she finally got up. Looked like lleh for a long time, but she made it.
Most of 'em... if they're not showing some progress within the first 3 days or so...aren't gonna make it... but as long as they act like they've got the will to live... I'll work with them.

I think as far as medications you've done what you can.. perhaps the dex and banamine can be repeated at intervals (Lucky P.. how often?) I've had a bunch of hard pulls, and the worst one the cow was down for about a day, and super wobbly for about 3 days after.

Keep an eye on her temp.. has she cleaned out yet?

Nesikep":2yro0m37 said:
I think as far as medications you've done what you can.. perhaps the dex and banamine can be repeated at intervals (Lucky P.. how often?) I've had a bunch of hard pulls, and the worst one the cow was down for about a day, and super wobbly for about 3 days after.

Keep an eye on her temp.. has she cleaned out yet?

Temp is good. She's alert. Eating well. And she did clean out. Kinda surprised me a little that she did.

Cibster, how long did you keep her up each time?[/quote]

I kept her up as long as she was putting a little weight on her back legs, usually no more than 10 minutes at a time. I could tell when she was getting tired and basically just "hanging there". When she got to that point I put her back down. I alternated the sides she laid on to help prevent the sores. I had hip clamps so it wasn't the most ideal way to lift her up, but it was better then nothing.

Latest posts