Down Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":32wd4d17 said:
NCLiz 3":32wd4d17 said:
Backhoe,
Hadn't heard of that one before, thanks.
I'll give it a try. Can't hurt!
Liz
FarmOne CMPK D3 Gel with Vitmain D3 is a mineral supplement for use in fresh cows. It contains Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Potassium along with Vitamin D3 to help maintain normal levels of these minerals and Vitamin D3 around freshening. Use on every fresh cow or heifer before and after calving. CMPK D3 Gel can be used as a follow up to IV Calcium treatment.
Better yet get yourself an IV set and give her CMPK in the vein. Works much faster and doesn't blister the inside of the mouth like the gel can do. Follow the CMPK with a bottle of Dextrose.

They don't get enough in her going the IV route TB. I respect you and your opinion. Just know what I have seen. $700 vet bills and the cow was still down. IV every day for a week. He told me I could have the cow because he knew I had a backhoe. They had all given up on her. I took 4 calves out of her over the next three years and sold her with a calf as a pair. Mineral deficiency was all that was wrong with her, besides being pure angus.

You are not talking about one showing signs. You're talking about a downer. She's spent and needs some serious help.

NCLiz 3":3chrm8mb said:
TB,

OK, I will give it a try.
Do you see any problem with giving it along with the I V cocktail most vet recommends?
Thiamine
B-12
broad spectrum antibiotic
Penicillin

Or should I give it by itself ?
Liz

Why give an antibiotic unless she has fever? And B Vitamins either for that matter. But I'm not a vet. I do know if they have CMPK imbalance they usually give an IV along with the dextrose solution for an energy boost.

sssloan":1i8oa2t5 said:
I live in Seneca, SC and I have a black angus cow that weighs approx. 1100 lbs. down. Vet said possible mineral deficiency. Has given her multiple injections for that but cow still can not get up. She tries, but can not. Eating and drinking well and is alert. Any suggestions?

If you don't mind posting a follow up, I'd like to know the outcome. Also any actions you may have taken.

backhoeboogie":1fip14wn said:
sssloan":1fip14wn said:
I live in Seneca, SC and I have a black angus cow that weighs approx. 1100 lbs. down. Vet said possible mineral deficiency. Has given her multiple injections for that but cow still can not get up. She tries, but can not. Eating and drinking well and is alert. Any suggestions?

If you don't mind posting a follow up, I'd like to know the outcome. Also any actions you may have taken.
Another "one hit wonder". Hasn;t been back since the day he posted.

Latest posts