Down Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Had to pull a large calf and now the cow won't get up. Her right leg acts like it just won't work when she trys to stand. I understand it is caused from the calving, but any suggestions on what else to do. We have been lifting her up with the tractor for a few days, but most of the time she won't bring her front end up too. Hot shot won't work either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

[email protected]

The fancy term for what the cow has is "obturator paralysis" even though it's the sciatic and not the obturator nerve involved. It is caused by pinching of the nerve by the calf during calving. The best treatment starts soon after calving with dexamethasone to decrease damage to the nerve. After a few days, you're also battling muscle damage and pain. When you lift her, it hurts and they'll often not try. I've given analgesics and dextrose (sometimes with calcium, magnesium) prior to lifting them and I get better results with some that way. Frankly, talk to your vet about her prognosis.

Good Luck V

Don't let her lay on just one side. Turn her over several times a day. This is always one of those "damn it" sort of deals. I saw one cow down for a month, the dairyman had decided that enough was enough no matter how good a cow she was. That morning when he went out to milk she was standing at the gate to the sick pen wanting in with the milk string. Seen others get up in a day or two, some never do get up. It's always tough trying to decide how long is long enough to mess with them.

> The fancy term for what the cow
> has is "obturator
> paralysis" even though it's
> the sciatic and not the obturator
> nerve involved. It is caused by
> pinching of the nerve by the calf
> during calving. The best treatment
> starts soon after calving with
> dexamethasone to decrease damage
> to the nerve. After a few days,
> you're also battling muscle damage
> and pain. When you lift her, it
> hurts and they'll often not try.
> I've given analgesics and dextrose
> (sometimes with calcium,
> magnesium) prior to lifting them
> and I get better results with some
> that way. Frankly, talk to your
> vet about her prognosis.

> Good Luck V

> The fancy term for what the cow
> has is "obturator
> paralysis" even though it's
> the sciatic and not the obturator
> nerve involved. It is caused by
> pinching of the nerve by the calf
> during calving. The best treatment
> starts soon after calving with
> dexamethasone to decrease damage
> to the nerve. After a few days,
> you're also battling muscle damage
> and pain. When you lift her, it
> hurts and they'll often not try.
> I've given analgesics and dextrose
> (sometimes with calcium,
> magnesium) prior to lifting them
> and I get better results with some
> that way. Frankly, talk to your
> vet about her prognosis.

> Good Luck V

We have been picking her up with the tractor. How long would you make her stay up if all she is doing is hanging there without trying to stand on her own. I know it has to hurt her picking her up that way. If she won't try, would it be better off to just let her lay there and fight on her own?

[email protected]

Latest posts