down cow..for how long is still healthy

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
seen anywhere from 12 hrs to..til she gets up..have a real weak one..improving. vet said some kind of infection...parasitic....gave her some iron and some b12..wormer...10 way... vet hasn't told me yet what it is...im gonna give her a dbl n the iron and b12 again today..shes def inprovong..eating drinkin and in a different spot altho maybe only 10 ft away....

so how long til she just cant get up. she has switched sides but I know..too long and her legs will basically die...

im not gonna tell ya how long its been...just need to know what yalls ipinion is..really don't wanna shoot her but I do need some meat

seems like after a few days they are dead if they are down.

I'll pick them up with the forks so they can get the legs down and some blood rushin around

Couple of times a day put a strap on a leg or two and flip her over by rolling her on her back. Easy to do by hand. Put straw or hay on the new laying side each time to cushion her or you will see pressure points. She can be down for weeks and still get up but watch out for extreme heat, direct sun on hot days, buzzards, dogs, ...

Are you sure that you are not dealing with Johne's Disease? If you are you are wasting your time.

Reminder:
Check the withdrawal times on the dewormer and 10 way used before butchering as they do vary.
She'll have at least that amount of time to keep trying before you give up on her progress.

dad had a cow once that calved and got paralized in the back legs couldnt get up but would crawl around, he watered and hayed her for 30 days had to put tree branches over her to keep the sun off and sure enough she got better and got up

MtnCows93":26crmlbz said:
dad had a cow once that calved and got paralized in the back legs couldnt get up but would crawl around, he watered and hayed her for 30 days had to put tree branches over her to keep the sun off and sure enough she got better and got up

Had one similar, only I'd park a grain cart beside her for shade. She'd stand a bit if I lifted her, otherwise she crawled. Took a month but she did get up. She didnt stick around long once she did get up.

Latest posts