DOWN CALF BUT NO SYMPTOMS

Help Support CattleToday:

Oregone oliver guy

Reaction score
So the yesterday afternoon I went out to feed and found a calf that was in the cold muck and acting like it was in shock against the hay feeder. The calf is 2-300lbs and was spry just a few days ago. I highly doubt the calf was stomped on because the feeder was dry from the day before and i check it every time i put a round bale in. so i'm pretty sure he bedded down there for the night and it got really cold (for our area it was in the teens) and i think he just didn't get up in the morning.

So once i found the calf i loaded it in the truck bed and put it in the barn. I got some hot water bottles and packed its hocks with them. I also covered him in hay and a towel and heavy table clothe. He wanted to suck so i got him a bottle of milk replacer that i made with warm water but it didnt drink more then maybe a 1/4 pint then would stop. After a few hours i had him sitting up and he was eating the hay we had on top of him and he felt warm (normal). I had a friend that runs alot of cattle come take a look and we both concluded that we dont see bloat or any dehydration. The fecal matter is solid and normal consistency. I gave him a shot of High b complex and vit A&D, as well as a shot of Pen.

I checked on him thorough out the night and he still is not doing any better (not any worse though either).

This morning i got him to drink a gallon or so of water and he is very alert and blinks and even will nudge me as i lay there with him when he wants water or his head itched hahah but i'm concerned he's not standing up and i cant get him to stand.

i have checked all his legs and hips and they feel normal and he's not flinching at all when i touch him.

Also when i get fluids in him i can hear his guts rumble. He did pass gas when i picked him up and put him in the truck. He also appears to be chewing cud as i was checking on him.....

any advice?? should i get some LA 200?? he doesnt sound raspy when he breathes. also the LA i believe will counter act the penicillin i gave him so ???? not sure what to do? Also has any one ever slinged a calf to get them to stand up and just leave them in a sling for a while (day or so) i'm mostly concerned that he's not standing up, but i do have him in the normal laying calf position.

any advice or things to try is greatly appriciated

Agreed, I'd get him to your vet or at the very least call him asap.

Did you take his temp/was it normal? Has this calf been vaccinated? Has he been banded/cut & did he receive tetanus or Covexin 8 (or whatever you generally use)? Does he have a mama or did you just buy him as a calf & do you know his history?

There are way too many things that could be wrong (diseases, neurological, injury/trauma, etc) to diagnose. Please do NOT put this calf in a sling for a day or so! A sling is a means to help a downer stand for a short period of time. And I would not give additional antibiotics without advise from your vet.

As a newbie-ish, I'm nonetheless a bit take aback at the rush for antibiotics (and already thinking of going on to a different antibiotic) despite no (apparent) fever or obvious sign of infection, let alone one of a bacterial nature. Your initial thought is that he just "got too cold." I rather doubt Pen or LA is the recommended treatment for that.
Sorry, not trying to be critical but aren't we trying to avoid Uncle Sam deciding farmers/ranchers can't be trusted to use meds responsibly?
Hope you figure it out and the lil bugger pulls through. In the meantime, can't a rumbly tummy be a side effect of Pen? Sure is in humans...kills off the normal gut biota

boondocks":3gnr7j52 said:
As a newbie-ish, I'm nonetheless a bit take aback at the rush for antibiotics (and already thinking of going on to a different antibiotic) despite no (apparent) fever or obvious sign of infection, let alone one of a bacterial nature. Your initial thought is that he just "got too cold." I rather doubt Pen or LA is the recommended treatment for that.
Sorry, not trying to be critical but aren't we trying to avoid Uncle Sam deciding farmers/ranchers can't be trusted to use meds responsibly?
Hope you figure it out and the lil bugger pulls through. In the meantime, can't a rumbly tummy be a side effect of Pen? Sure is in humans...kills off the normal gut biota
I'm glad someone beat to saying it. Willy nilly usage of antibiotics, particularly those that aren;t all that effective, really bothers me.

dun":2zro6le0 said:
boondocks":2zro6le0 said:

Agree. No use in using antibiotics if you're not sure of a diagnosis. If he did get too cold, they won't help anyway. If it's neurological, they most likely won't help that much at all either. Call a vet. :2cents:

Latest posts