Dove weed

Help Support CattleToday:

Jlane

Reaction score
Ive got a good bit of dove weed popping up in my pasture and its is spreading pretty quick. Whats the best way to control/ eradicate it? It used to be good bermuda grass but due to some neglect the dove weed has taken over a corner of it and is moving out. I hit it with 2 4 D tonignt to try to keep it from spreading. Any ideas in the best next move?
Thanks!

Jlane, the advice given is good advice. I would only add that weeds generally pervade when soil conditions are poor ------ for your Bermuda grass and for that matter, many others too. So, if your budget can handle it, I would do a soil test now to see what nutrients are needed for supporting Bermuda grass, then add that in the Spring, followed by persistent spraying of any Dove weed or other unwanted weeds that come up after that. If supported, the Bermuda will help to choke out the weeds (along with your spraying). What part of the country are you located?

This time of year all you need to do is shred. A lot of it has already gone to seed. Earlier in the season Cimarron Plus ( non-restricted), 2-4-d and many other herbicides will take care of it along with any woolly croton. They have a lot of seed in the ground that will survive for many years to come so you will be fighting it for more than just one year. As James T said these weeds may also a sign of poor fertility. A good stand of grass will also help choke it out.

Thanks for the advice guys. Im in florida. Ive just got a couple ares of pasture here at the house and just recently cross fenced it for my mule. Currently shes only on a half acre of grass (Which she quickly devoured) So now Im working on getting her another acre thats fenced off so I can alternate between the 2. Horse hoves just destroy grass. Im hoping to plant her pen and the other arce in rye this winter then really busting into maintence this spring. The grass wasnt really fertilized because nothing was on it but now I trying to work it back and get some good grass growing again so I dont have to buy spend as much on feed.

Latest posts