Dove Season Opened

Help Support CattleToday:

Your dead on there to CB, I can out shoot him with a rifle any day. His uncle shoots trap and skeet all over the world and taught him how to shoot a shotgun. My son had all the free shells, lessons and whatever else he needed growing up. Then at 18 he decided to quit school, and fish and farm for a living. He's happy and he's a worker, but our family sure was upset with him to say the least. Myself I'am quite proud of him, he's one heck of a man now.

Caustic Burno":15soy77g said:
Went this morning shot 7 bird's out of 12 shot's.
Flat missed two this morning and they were slow moving bird's.
Think something must be wrong with my double barrel.

You eat those itty bitty things?

Come sit on my front deck - hundreds of them land in the pens every morning about 30 minutes after day break - do not know what they are eating but you could not miss them they land within 15 feet of me at times

My best

Bez

Last time I did it we through them on the grill and smothered them in some bbq sauce. It very good.

Went out Saturday night with old man and brother and we shot close to a 3 man limit.

Our dove population was much stronger 3 weeks ago. The last week of August, they took off. my kids still have had OK luck, but not nearly as many birds as there was eariler in August.

One of my co-workers drove over to Eastern Washington this weekend to go dove hunting. $80 in gas each way. Shot up over a box of shells and got 3. I hope he really enjoyed himself cause those are some mighty expensive doves.

I was thinking of driving up in the hills as grouse season opened here on Saturday. But with $4.30 diesel I think I will wait for something bigger to shoot.

Galloway2":3qayuyld said:
Our dove population was much stronger 3 weeks ago. The last week of August, they took off. my kids still have had OK luck, but not nearly as many birds as there was eariler in August.

Same here. There were thousands in the old peanut field a week before season. Somebody must have planted wheat a litlte early not far away or something like that.

CB we had a big white wing fly over us while we grouped and chatted. I missed with each barrel. Couldn't belive it. No excuse. Two more took 2 shots. Dang bird started to circle but changed its mind. I was embarrassed. It flew across the field to where my SIL and daughter were. Heard a shot and saw it fall. Later asked which one got it and neither remembered.

highgrit":hi94e8zu said:
Your dead on there to CB, I can out shoot him with a rifle any day. His uncle shoots trap and skeet all over the world and taught him how to shoot a shotgun. My son had all the free shells, lessons and whatever else he needed growing up. Then at 18 he decided to quit school, and fish and farm for a living. He's happy and he's a worker, but our family sure was upset with him to say the least. Myself I'am quite proud of him, he's one heck of a man now.

I just bought another 12 gauge smoke pole out of Ga. It is a CVA single shot trapper with a modified barrel.

Had a great time this weekend. 3 of my old college buddies and their wives came in to hunt. The women and kids stayed at the house and the boys stayed at the camp house. There was plenty of beverages and we ate like kings. The dove hunting was excellent until Sun. evening, after that, they were a mile high and haulin AZZ. We ended up with about 90 birds all together. It wouldn't have mattered if we killed any or not.

I have 2 12 gauge model 1000's one handed down from each of my grandfathers. I bought a barrel that I can change chokes if I want to but i shoot dove with a modified choke. I have learned to shoot with the old beat up gun and am pretty accurate with it. I can pick up someone else's gun and cant hit shyt.

Another great thing about this weekend was that I got to hunt with my beloved chocolate Lab "Tootsie". She's gettn a little old but she still picked up every bird, event the ones that fell in the tank. She likes that the best.

Yep, no quail flushed when walking the pastures. Quit dove hunting and started pheasant hunting in Kansas instead. Bigger target and better eating. No bird dogs anymore, have to depend on grand kids to fetch.

papavillars":2x7yn8ro said:
Yep, no quail flushed when walking the pastures. Quit dove hunting and started pheasant hunting in Kansas instead. Bigger target and better eating. No bird dogs anymore, have to depend on grand kids to fetch.

I was thinking this evening while I was dove hunting the last time I heard a Bob White.
It has been a long time. I was thinking how much fun it would be to hunt some Bob White with my muzzle loading shotgun's.

Latest posts