Dove Hunting Round 2

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Deer hunting is relaxing, fishing is fun, hog hunting is a rush, but a good dove hunt is just hard to beat in my book. :) Nothing like birds coming in with a 20mph north wind at their back.

dovehunting-E_zpsd8f05bd6.jpg

dovepoppers_zps121564ff.jpg

Nice pile of doves there. Nothing finer when they are piling in and it sounds like a constant roar from a scattergun.
Love to burn up with a 16 double or my BPS upland special.
I hunted a few times this year with my blackpowder that will teach you to hold your lead.
You will get tired of stuffing that smokepole and nuthin hitting the ground. It sounds like it goes off like a modern but it don't.

I started hunting with a single shot 410 last season. It will definintely knock them down.

We are fortunate to have a property in the fly zone. Dove hunting has always been big with our family and friends. We will be steady on them over the next 3 weeks.

I love dove and dove hunting, up here in the 80's I could go out during season and get 6 to 10 in a few hours, good eating. Now I'm lucky to see 6 in a year.... Kind of like pheasant. Thanks for the pics.

Alan":15p7rkcp said:
I love dove and dove hunting, up here in the 80's I could go out during season and get 6 to 10 in a few hours, good eating. Now I'm lucky to see 6 in a year.... Kind of like pheasant. Thanks for the pics.

It's worse here Alan. We are loaded with them every summer....until about a week before the season starts. By Sept 1st they are all gone. Especially if we get a little cold front moving through.
As far as the pheasants go we used to have a lot of them in the San Louis Valley which is about an hour away. They all disapeared when Coors became more "efficient" at growing Barley.

Our hunting has changed over the years. When I was younger the fronts would be moving in with birds prior to the season opening. Its like you couldn't wait for Sept 1 to come so you could get after'em. We hardly ever hunted the second season.

The past 5-10 years there are fewer birds at the opening but the 2nd seasons have been awesome. We are not getting the northern birds as early in the year as we use to.

Latest posts