Double trouble BULLS

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
I decided to replace two bulls on a five bull herd. I THOUGHT I was doing a smart thing by buying two siblings since they were use to each other and wouldn't try and kill each other. These two are 2yr. old brangus and I turned them out with two charolias and one angus. The two charolias were the dominate bulls of the herd, they are power-houses. Long story short, the two new brangus bulls put a double team on the rest of the bulls. They injured my best charolias, he may be done, and keep the other two away from the main herd. When they're not checking cows they are patroling and running off the other bulls side by side. They've about sent me into orbit over the whole ordeal ! One of them are about to grow wheels!

Rod":301w7geu said:
I decided to replace two bulls on a five bull herd. I THOUGHT I was doing a smart thing by buying two siblings since they were use to each other and wouldn't try and kill each other. These two are 2yr. old brangus and I turned them out with two charolias and one angus. The two charolias were the dominate bulls of the herd, they are power-houses. Long story short, the two new brangus bulls put a double team on the rest of the bulls. They injured my best charolias, he may be done, and keep the other two away from the main herd. When they're not checking cows they are patroling and running off the other bulls side by side. They've about sent me into orbit over the whole ordeal ! One of them are about to grow wheels!
if i was you id ship both bulls.they are trouble.an to add to it they love to fight.the way i see it theyve cost you $2500 by whooping the snot out of your char bull.so in my opions you need 3 bulls replaced.

If one has more than 1 bull...

Keep them in separate pastures with 1 or more females to "call their own". Separate pastures with an alleyway or vacant pasture. Make sure your perimeter fence is good (for what that's worth) and don't put your bull across fence from neighbor's bull.

Running 2 or more service age bulls in one pasture or pen is an accident waiting to hapen.

JMO

I agree running arrow, everything was smooth for the last couple years but I quess its gonna come down to seperating them. I sure dread pairing everything up and putting them where they belong. I

That's why I gave up running more than one breeding bull years ago. It invariably will end up with one or both of them getting hurt. And as we all know, bulls are not cheap! You won't get much for a downer either.

Rod":a8o3oes6 said:

I have a questions. Were you running your entire herd together with five bulls? We runn our bulls in individual pasure during breeding season but right now we have four of them in a pasture with a couple pair a steer that will be going into the butcher pen this fall. We put them in at the same time they fight for a day or two and then seem toget the peching order figured out and enjoy the fall.

Jeff

Running Arrow Bill":1uloprmt said:
Running 2 or more service age bulls in one pasture or pen is an accident waiting to hapen.

JMO

That depends on the bull, the breed, and the circumstances. We've currently got 2 18 month old bulls in a pen together, and have no problems with either of them. We've had as many as 10 or 12 bulls of varying ages - most of them of service age, and 2 of them were herd bulls - in the same pen and had absolutely no problems.

I agree msscamp. I ran with two bulls for quite a while, until finally getting rid of one due to his age. (5yrs)
Now I have another 6 yr old bull out there with my cows, and my young bull (not quite a year old yet) running with the herd too. They get along fairly well, but have their usual head buttin contests.

I run 120 mama's at this place and have been running everything together, no problems, until now.

We run all our bulls together in the off season. We have had up to 8 bulls ranging in age from yearlings to 6 years old together. In the offseason they have NO cows with them, and are in a pasture where they are separated from any cows by a road and 2 fences. So far we have had no problems with the bulls in the offseason. For breeding season they each go in a separate pasture for the first cycle. Then for the second they will be with whatever other bulls are in the same location. If your bulls know each other and have an established pecking order there will be a LOT less problems, and usually won't end up with injured bulls.

By introducing new bulls and just throwing them out with the other bulls (with cows) you should be expecting problems. They have a reason to fight. By introducing them together with no cows around they don't really fight. They will push and shove around some, but it is not the same as they would if they had cows to fight over.

Personally I hate having bulls around. There are too many problems caused by them. But, since we have pasture that is 2 hours away, we are stuck using them. And keeping them.

We have had our share of bull problems much like you. That's why Mr. Poopoo head is gone.
We bought insurance on our bulls. Loss of use, loss of fuction and death. So far the loss of use has come in handy. We did not insure all the bulls just the main ones. the heiffer bull was on his own so we did not insure him. The insurance covers the whole year.
Might be worth a try.
We usually put each bull with a bunch of ladies as well, but when it looked like it was going to be a dry year we decided to lump everything together roatate pastures and hope for the best. Now we are using the policy.

Latest posts