Double Muscled

Help Support CattleToday:

Jovid

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with double muscled cattle in other breeds besides Piedmontese or Belgian Blue?

It has showed up in angus every once in a while. My understanding is that it's a mutation that can happen in all cattle but the BB and pieds bred towards that mutation.

Not a mutation in Piedmontese. They are two copy myostatin gene, natural occurrence for the breed.

The Piedmontese Beef Cattle Breed is the "Myostatin Breed"...defined as "Cattle from traceable Piedmontese heritage which possess a minimum of one-copy of the Piedmontese-specific Myostatin allele mutation." NAPA registered Fullblood & registered Naturalean Piedmontese are all homozygous (2-copy) for this gene that increases yield & improves tenderness.

Evolved in the Alps Mountains of north-west Italy - the area known as the Piemonte, which means "foot of the mountain" - the Piedmontese breed is a natural for the production of lean tender beef... It's all genetics !

Since their introduction to North America, many visionary breeders have helped to establish these cattle and the Association responsible for record-keeping and issuance of Registration Certificates - NAPA - the North American Piedmontese Association. The first breed registry to make a gene (Myostatin) a mandatory registry requirement. Click HERE to open a PDF file brochure explaining the Myostatin Gene.

Here you will find information on this beef cattle breed, the Association, up-coming events and advertising from many of our breeders.
In Pieds the DM does not manifest until the calf is about 6 weeks old. Google for more information on the breed.

BMCC":8j5zb01m said:
Looks like black painted limo.

for sure!

The double muscle myostatin mutation in Angus is the same as that found in Limousin cattle, coincidence?

The University of Alberta had double muscled purebred Angus cattle in the mid 1960's before Limos were imported. I also remember seeing pictures of double muscled Angus in text books from the same period. This is not to say the bull pictured doesn't have some limo in him but it isn't a slam dunk. ABS in the UK sells semen on the pictured bull Oakchurch Dictator. He is out of a Canadian bull Dalrene Cruz (heavy muscled).
The myostatin gene shows alot of polymorphism though out all breeds. Check it out at: http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pd ... -1-103.pdf. Note the likely source of disruptive haplotypes is the Frisian not the Shorthorn. Perhaps the double haplotypes came from the Holstein breed for the pictured bull. Also the influence of other loci must be considered to explain variability in populations with fixed disruptive haplotypes.

Limousin definently have double muscled & you can now buy bulls that are tested to have 2 copies of the F94L Myostatin gene. Unlike the Myostatin genes in the BB & Pied cattle the F94L causes double muscling with no negative impact of meat quality due to more muscle fibres rather than courser ones. The resulting progeny from a AA (2 copies F94L) Limousin X with an Angus let's say will have 1 copy which will give it a higher yielding carcass than an animal with 0 copies.

F94L gene does not cause double muscling. It is a Myostatin gene that causes limousin cattle to have heavy muscling. Look at any picture of cattle i have posted, no double muscled cattle in my pictures, all carry two copies of the F94L gene. All the fullblood limousin that i know of that have been tested for the f94L carry two copies.

VLS_GUY":1j2vgtol said:
The University of Alberta had double muscled purebred Angus cattle in the mid 1960's before Limos were imported. I also remember seeing pictures of double muscled Angus in text books from the same period. This is not to say the bull pictured doesn't have some limo in him but it isn't a slam dunk. ABS in the UK sells semen on the pictured bull Oakchurch Dictator. He is out of a Canadian bull Dalrene Cruz (heavy muscled).
The myostatin gene shows alot of polymorphism though out all breeds. Check it out at: http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pd ... -1-103.pdf. Note the likely source of disruptive haplotypes is the Frisian not the Shorthorn. Perhaps the double haplotypes came from the Holstein breed for the pictured bull. Also the influence of other loci must be considered to explain variability in populations with fixed disruptive haplotypes.

it's not about the muscle per se but about the type. The Oakchurch bull in my view is of Limousin not Angus type, if you painted him red you'd call him a limo before you'd call him 'red angus'!

Red Bull I stand to b corrected from all the literature & research I have read Myostatin gene cause double muscling & in Limousin 2 copies of the F94L indicates they have the Myostatin. F94L isn't the gene, however it is the flag allele they found that indicates Myostatin.

You are correct most (not 100%) French Pure or Full bloods carry the 2 copies and Pure bred Limousin can either have 0, 1 or 2 due to their % Limousin. You generally can tell the ones that carry it visually, however there are other genes (unknown) that could also control muscling

So the question is:

Why wouldn't a commercial cattlemen raising cattle for beef not want to breed his cows to a bull that carries two copies of the myostatin gene?

Would this not produce an offspring that will have the optimal carcass hanging on the rail?

Jovid":1cte5kwt said:
So the question is:

Why wouldn't a commercial cattlemen raising cattle for beef not want to breed his cows to a bull that carries two copies of the myostatin gene?

Would this not produce an offspring that will have the optimal carcass hanging on the rail?

I do not know; but you are right, a slaughter animal with one copy myostatin has the optimal carcass on the rail. :2cents:

Jovid":2a56otpt said:
So the question is:

Yes many 4H projects don't do well in the ring but kick butt on the rail. Great question!! No great answer available, prejudice and predisposed opinions are hard to break thru. :2cents: Progress is being made but slow.

Quality is a function of marbling, not muscle, well marbled beef consistently scores well in consumer trials for taste, the consumer cares not a whit about how heavy the carcass was or what yield grade it was because yield (muscle) is a function of profit for the packer, it has zero effect on the eating quality of beef. Muscle is antagonistic to fat deposition, muscle is also more expensive to maintain, marbling is the object for consistent good eating beef, yield is just a function of how much there is. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the packer making money and I'm not in favor of yg5 choice cattle, but we produce a product that relies upon consumer demand and acceptance, that means choice or higher.

Latest posts