double muscled cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

This question is address to double muscled cattle, I can think of a couple of breeds, are they more prone to calving problems in general? Or on the larger breeds (frame size,pelvis area ) O.K. and/ or mainly a danger to smaller size cattle and heifers? ALF

[email protected]

> This question is address to double
> muscled cattle, I can think of a
> couple of breeds, are they more
> prone to calving problems in
> general? Or on the larger breeds
> (frame size,pelvis area ) O.K.
> and/ or mainly a danger to smaller
> size cattle and heifers? ALF i don't know for a fact but i have heard cattle bred to belgium blue bulls can have a problem calving at times, especially heifers

[email protected]

as a BB breeder, i know that fullblood breeding, which is what i do, gives you 50/50 chance of serious calving problems, but with crossbreeding, if you pick out the right cows, there wont be any problems. i know for a fact that a good limousin cow will work off any BB calf, if the cow is up for the job. the problem is that not very many people know how to decide which cow will give easy births. another thing is, how lazy are the cows during calving. some breeds practically don't work, and others can press for ever, until the calf comes out.

it's all in your selection, but crossbreeding with BB is not for the inexperienced.

[email protected]

Latest posts