Dosage for newborn calves

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasShooter

Reaction score
I normally vaccinate my calves at around 3 months but have read (on this message board) to vaccinate as early as possible.

How much (ml) of the following should I give a newborn calf? Ear tags what age in mo?

1. Utrabac 8 (black leg)? – The label says 5ml per animal, but obviously there's quite a bit of difference between a calf and a cow.
2. Ivomec Eprinex (pour-on for wormer)?
3. Ear Tags?

Thanks,

We vaccinate 1st series between 3 & 4 months, 2nd series @ weaning. Since we are essentially a closed herd (and, TAHC TB Accredited & Brucellosis Certified herd), as well as raising registered Longhorns, don't have to worry about any vaccinations sooner. Our calves hit the ground running, healthy, and all.

TexasShooter":3vfjonwg said:
I normally vaccinate my calves at around 3 months but have read (on this message board) to vaccinate as early as possible.

How much (ml) of the following should I give a newborn calf? Ear tags what age in mo?

1. Utrabac 8 (black leg)? – The label says 5ml per animal, but obviously there's quite a bit of difference between a calf and a cow.
2. Ivomec Eprinex (pour-on for wormer)?
3. Ear Tags?

Thanks,

If you MUST vaccinate newborns or 1 -2 month old calves, check with your Vet on proper dosages. De-wormers have a fairly wide margin of safety in doses...don't know about vaccines.

if you vaccinate your cows it is not necessary before 2-3 months old.i worm at teh same time then at weaning second round. i tag my calves at birth before they can get away. i put fly tags in the cows and weaned calves not the little ones.

You give the dosage listed on the bottle for vaccines no matter what size the animal is.
If you're calves are nusing cows, they should not receive any VACCINES until they are at least 3 months old, because the antibodies from the cows colostrum will interfere with the vaccine. IF you are having a major health problem, the Pfizer rep said you can vaccinate before 2 weeks old - but I would check with the pharmaceutical company of the vaccine you are using.
We vaccinate after 3 months of age & prior to weaning and also deworm at the same times.
Wormers are given based on weight. There is no need to deworm a calf until 1-2 montbs after grazing.
We eartag our calves at birth using a full size tag (ex-large size).

According to several studies, vacination neonate calves is often a waste of time, as the passive immunities the calf gets through the colustrum all but 'invalidate' the vacines in calves up to ninetey days after birth.( creating a barrier so to speak)
If you must treat a calf for an illness, you can try antibiotics of course, or the newer serums that are available. The serums are from hyperimunized cattle, and help to treat calves by providing active antibodies for certain diseases and helps the animal fight off illness of these specified illness immediately, instead of the normal response of slowly building up these antibodies in the little bodies..

The serums also help to get calves that are colustrum deficient a running start on these immunities as well. So says my vet and several vet manual I have read. :cboy:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1jw5kzfw said:
You give the dosage listed on the bottle for vaccines no matter what size the animal is.
If you're calves are nusing cows, they should not receive any VACCINES until they are at least 3 months old, because the antibodies from the cows colostrum will interfere with the vaccine. IF you are having a major health problem, the Pfizer rep said you can vaccinate before 2 weeks old - but I would check with the pharmaceutical company of the vaccine you are using.
We vaccinate after 3 months of age & prior to weaning and also deworm at the same times.
Wormers are given based on weight. There is no need to deworm a calf until 1-2 montbs after grazing.
We eartag our calves at birth using a full size tag (ex-large size).

just wondering about the vacinating at around 3 months and then again at weaning... is the shot at weaning considered your booster, or do you booster the first shot at the prescribed time? which i figure would be at about 4 months if you first gave a shot a 3 months..

thanks

jt

I use a live vaccine (BoviShield) so I only have to booster the BRSV & Lepto, which I do 4 weeks later, so yes, they are 4+ months old with the 2nd shot. Than I do shots after weaning, since I don't have to worry about the stress at the time of weaning.

We vaccinate at 90 to 110 days with booster as required. All pharm. companies have a 800 numbers and a web sites for verifications.

Unless there is an unusual enviroment newbies should have time to get up and running.

Latest posts