do's and dont's

Help Support CattleToday:

cattletom

Reaction score
a couple of months ago i bought a cow calf pair. the guy i bought him from must have told me the wrong age of her calf because as i was getting ready to wean her calf (about 7 months of age) she birthed a large bull calf. she is totally rejecting this bull calf. we have tried everything and nothing is working. she tries to kill this calf. stomp it /head but it /keeps knocking it over. i penned her older calf up which im guessing is really 10 months old rather than 7 or 8. i do not have electric fence up and she jumped 2 separate fences to get to her mother and the mother is all of the sudden mega protecting her and letting her suck and treating her like a newborn. i think shes confused about this new birth seeing her older calf was not weaned yet. well anyway my question is this. i am bottle feeding this large bull calf (2 days of colostum and now medicated milk replacer) twice a day. can someone give me some dos and donts of bottle feeeding such as do i need to be giving him some type of eletrolyte pill or mix or some calf starter feed . any help would be appreciated. thanks

tommy

When he is a week or so old start him on some good qulaity calf starter grain. If you keep the grain to him, by the time he is eating 2 lbs a day he should be ablt to be weaned from the bottle, but he'll still require the grain.
If you have to, ship the heifer calf to a neighbors or something to get this cow dried up. She doesn't need the milk and I'm alwasy worried about them becoming persistent nursers as they get older. If the do, they can never be trusted in a pasture with their mother, and in some cases any cow that is milking.

dun

cattletom":39dutmfx said:
a couple of months ago i bought a cow calf pair. the guy i bought him from must have told me the wrong age of her calf because as i was getting ready to wean her calf (about 7 months of age) she birthed a large bull calf. she is totally rejecting this bull calf. we have tried everything and nothing is working. she tries to kill this calf. stomp it /head but it /keeps knocking it over. i penned her older calf up which im guessing is really 10 months old rather than 7 or 8. i do not have electric fence up and she jumped 2 separate fences to get to her mother and the mother is all of the sudden mega protecting her and letting her suck and treating her like a newborn. i think shes confused about this new birth seeing her older calf was not weaned yet. well anyway my question is this. i am bottle feeding this large bull calf (2 days of colostum and now medicated milk replacer) twice a day. can someone give me some dos and donts of bottle feeeding such as do i need to be giving him some type of eletrolyte pill or mix or some calf starter feed . any help would be appreciated. thanks

tommy

Did you ever get the big calf away? If not I would sell it first.
Ellie May
Oh yeah and when bottle feeding feed the calf a couple of times some goat's milk makes the calf very strong and healthy, because the goat's milk is more nutrious then milk mix.