Do's and dont's of bottle calves

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
Had to pull a bull calf out of a first calf Hereford last night(front leg back). Anways, this dude doesn't want anything to do with trying to nurse. I tubed him last night and this morning. Just had mom in the chute and I milked her a bit and rubbed her tears and his nose with it. Nothing. That's all I've ever done in the past. Need suggestions

If he's not even attempting to nurse and you had to pull him I'm assuming he's dystocia and most likely has a swollen head/tongue? Does he even attempt to suck on your finger if you stick it in his mouth? I give calves like that a shot of Vitamin B Complex for energy, Banamine to help reduce swelling and Nursemate ASAP. You'll probably have to continue to tube him while you train him to nurse &/or take a bottle. Next time mama's in the chute, secure him with your legs, hold his head, guide it to the teat and literally open his mouth with your fingers & put her teat inside. Hold his head/clamp down on his mouth (not hard) so he doesn't pull away and squeeze the teat so he gets a taste of her milk. If this doesn't get him interested, stimulate his mouth/sucking reflex by moving her teat in-n-out, just a little. Good luck!

He's pretty shaky, face is still a little swollen. Tubed him again this afternoon with purina milk replacer. Momma doesn't have much milk. I'm gonna haul him to a nurse cow at my buddies ranch tomorrow. One of the guys said he'd bottle him til he's good to go on the nurse cow. Momma is coming to a burger near you soon. 3 times a day normal for feeding them?

3x a day is good but not more than 2 qts max. Most dairies are now feeding 3 qts twice a day to calves. Sure, he would get more on a nurse cow but in smaller amounts at a time. An average calf bottle = 2qts. I feed about 2 1/2 to 3 qts per feeding to my bottle calves after they are a few days old and I am sure they are not scouring. I feed twice a day due to time and work constraints. The calves on the nurse cows get all they want/all she has. If you feed 3x a day then I would probably cut back to about 1 1/2 qt per feeding to see how it is doing. This calf is at a bit of a disadvantage due to the difficult birth. Less is better until the calf is really "up and going".

farmerjan":9coolabt said:
3x a day is good but not more than 2 qts max. Most dairies are now feeding 3 qts twice a day to calves. Sure, he would get more on a nurse cow but in smaller amounts at a time. An average calf bottle = 2qts. I feed about 2 1/2 to 3 qts per feeding to my bottle calves after they are a few days old and I am sure they are not scouring. I feed twice a day due to time and work constraints. The calves on the nurse cows get all they want/all she has. If you feed 3x a day then I would probably cut back to about 1 1/2 qt per feeding to see how it is doing. This calf is at a bit of a disadvantage due to the difficult birth. Less is better until the calf is really "up and going".
I'm doing 2 qts twice a day as it is. He's doing better all the time. Wasn't sure if i was feeding enough. Thanks for the info!

Sounds like the calf is doing okay if you are feeding 2 qts 2x a day. The thing with doing up to 3 qts 2x a day is they seem to grow better having gotten a better start. The downside to that is they often take longer to want to try solid feed - like grain. But face it, a calf on a beef cow will start following what momma does at a week or two, but they don't get any real amount of feed from the grass or hay they are trying until they are 2-3 months old. So I would max out at 3 qts 2x a day. Another thing, it is cheaper to stick with 2 qts 2x a day and get them to start eating grain and then hay. Milk replacer is expensive, grain is a better "buy" once they get to eating it. Most calves on dairies are weaned in the 6-10 week range and are eating 2% of their body weight. So a 100 lb calf is eating 2 lbs of grain a day. Most are more than 100 lbs at weaning, but I deal with alot of jerseys and crosses and they are for the most part just smaller. Still, I like to see them eating more than 2% when they are getting weaned.

Glad he is doing better all the time.

Did you give him colostrum replacement or supplement? I would give him Selenium. All newborns get Selenium here. Used to use BoSe but use Multimin now. Both must come from the vet. Lack of SE affects the large muscles - like the tongue.

Latest posts