Doomsday Preppers

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I just got through watching a few doomsday prepper shows I just wondered if anyone in here is a doomsday prepper with a underground bunker and all that stuff. I find it interesting to watch and see the reasoning behind it. We are having a gun show here every other week it seems since all this gun stuff and im wondering how many of the people buying guns are preppers or just sportsman like I am that just like guns. If there is a collapse of society all the rich stuck up folk that hate guns and never learned to live off the land and cant do without starbucks coffee they will be in serious trouble.

People--here----Prepping--With a bunch of guns?
Nope, we're all just law abiding citizens trying to make an honest stab at raising a few bovines and discussing mutaully intresting topics of the day.
Never been in a starbucks, so I wouldn't know what kind of people go in one.

I watched a show that interviewed a bunch of people prepping for the Mayan apocolypse.. they were just so sure it was going to happen. They had underground bunkers, stocks of bottled water and canned food.. they were going all out. They were talking about surviving and re-populating the Earth.
The day after we didn't all blow up into a cloud of non-existence, I found myself thinking that I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when they realized it wasn't going to happen. I would have paid money to see them realize that they were all idiots

I'm not a prepper. Infact were in a state of unpreparedness. I seriously doubt we have a two day supply of food in the house.----------------I really need to get stocked up for something like an ice storm etc. I got my wife a generator for her birthday. Don't pick at me, she asked for it. She wanted it for the horse trailer. I've got our breaker panel set up to handle it at the house. I don't even want to think about anything any crazier than the lights out for a few days.

I fall somewhere between not prepared and die-hard prepper. I do not prep for a nuclear war or Mayan apocolypse. I am prepped for severe civil unrest, mobs and riots. I have enough canned and dried foods for a month and I am pretty well stocked up on guns / ammo. I live less than 5 miles from a major target in the event of a nuclear war (AEDC Fir Force Base which is known to be on the high priority target list) so if that happens I won't know anything about it because I will be vaporized. I have a pond stocked with catfish and have several ducks living on it and of course I have plenty of beef on the hoof. I have enough squirrels around to eat like a king. I can survive for a good while and defend myself if need be.

TennesseeTuxedo":1fiwef6w said:
I'm going to Hoss's place.

Come on down.....just announce yourself before starting down my road......I can get trigger happy :mrgreen: :cowboy:

My family and I actually have discussed scenarios of civil unrest, mob riots etc. We have a plan. My daughter and son-in-law live about 35 miles away. They are to immediatly load what food, ammo and clothes that they can into their car and drive straight to my place with gun in hand. My brother and sister are to do the same thing. They are to shoot anybody that gets in the way of them getting to my place. I live on a dead-end road and I am the only house on it. My place is fairly defensible as open pasture has to be crossed from any side to get to my house. The entire road in can be covered from an upstairs window via a scoped high powered rifle. It would be suicide to come down the road. I have a 953 Cat Track loader that I can use to block off the road from vehicle access. I have a large 5,000 sq ft house so my place is the most logical for the whole clan to congergate at. We would have severl able bodied men to defend the place as well as the tools to do it. I am not a doomsday / militia paranoid type guy but it just makes sense to have at least an outline of a plan. In these days and times who know what will happen in the event of a collapsed economy or if George Zimmerman gets aquitted.

I am almost willing to bet it it will be an EMP that will cripple everything. Better have a backup plan for transportation

Yes MM if it was -30 here this morning it would be doomsday. It's 31 here and that's to cold. I like to stay a little prepared, I have lived without power for 3 weeks because of hurricanes before and it was no fun. Now I try and keep atleast 200 gals. of fuel and 100 gals. of gas around all the time.

I've never watched the "Doomsday Preppers" but am so sick of reality shows I want to just up chuck. Swamp People, Snake Catchers, Swamp Loggers, Gold hunters in Alaska, Logging in the mountains, Duck Callers, Alligator catchers, real estate wars, storage wars, Pickers, people who restore stuff, women who hunt antiques, Pickers, and dozens of others. Never watched any of them exept the one abut the "Pickers"....just so damned stupid. Everyone raves about the Duck Dynasty and the old boy I guess has made a lot of money but they need to hire actors because they are stupid. And the most stupid inept reality show of all "The Evening News".

I think I've seen every spaghetti western available on the western channel in addition to "The Lawman, Have Gun Will Travel, Wagon Train and others" and every episode of Nat. Geo ever made in addition to the Discovery channel. The TV is OFF now about 90% of the time and I'm in the process of reading thru the Bible for the 3rd of 4th time. Have finished the NT and about a third of the way thru the OT. Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire is next I guess.

I have plenty of game here and access to a river close by and boat if i need to float away and or catch fish turtles ducks or whatever. I do not have a great supply of ammo but have a great supply of food. I do not have a game plan yet.

HOSS":qjleo0j6 said:
I fall somewhere between not prepared and die-hard prepper. I do not prep for a nuclear war or Mayan apocolypse. I am prepped for severe civil unrest, mobs and riots. I have enough canned and dried foods for a month and I am pretty well stocked up on guns / ammo. I live less than 5 miles from a major target in the event of a nuclear war (AEDC Fir Force Base which is known to be on the high priority target list) so if that happens I won't know anything about it because I will be vaporized. I have a pond stocked with catfish and have several ducks living on it and of course I have plenty of beef on the hoof. I have enough squirrels around to eat like a king. I can survive for a good while and defend myself if need be.
my mother worked there for a period, during the late 70's when she lived in Tullahoma....im sure Redstone is on the list, which is close to me..

ALACOWMAN":3uo1gajg said:
HOSS":3uo1gajg said:
my mother worked there for a period, during the late 70's when she lived in Tullahoma....im sure Redstone is on the list, which is close to me..
My neighbor is a strategic planner there. He cannot tell me what they are working on but I've been told that some of the most super-secret projects that require engine testing happens there. They have a huge underground wind tunnel. Sometimes on a clear night I can hear a continual rumble coming from there. I know the wooded area just outside the perimeter is saturated with motion detectors and ground sensors. You can hunt on the AF property surrounding the base but I have had hunting buddies get too close to the perimeter before daylight only to be surrounded by MP's asking questions and directing them back toward the approved hunting zones. The base MP's are some serious dudes.

HOSS":3jvquvlw said:

Well we are in the same boat in what we are prepared for. I am more concerned about civil unrest for different reason's.
Economic collapse, another Waco event that snowball's, bad weather event with prolonged power outages etc.
Got 2 stocked catfish pond's, if it has fin, fur or feather's we will eat well.
Bet you eat for 6 months out of the Mrs. pantry it is stocked to the ceiling.

Well we are in the same boat in what we are prepared for. I am more concerned about civil unrest for different reason's.
Economic collapse, another Waco event that snowball's, bad weather event with prolonged power outages etc.
Got 2 stocked catfish pond's, if it has fin, fur or feather's we will eat well.
Bet you eat for 6 months out of the Mrs. pantry it is stocked to the ceiling.[/quote]

CB, if things get bad enough up here, Im just gonna hitch up old Sam, and bring my family down there to live... :nod: :cboy:

I try to be ready for any disaster but I'm not fanatical about it. I'm an avid gardener and I tend to enjoy growing things that store well and we do some canning so we always have food stores on hand even if it isn't by design.
I think It just makes sense to be ready for "something" when you see people in the news caught offguard by something that wasn't suposed to happen to them.
The upside is that my wife, who tends to get swept into drama, watched a few episodes on her computer and went berserk and now instead of complaining about my time in the garden she thinks I need to double it and is picking out varieties for me to try so that she can get more into canning. :lol: