Don't you just love ?????

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
This time of year when you get to do a final check before sunset and all the babies are playing and every cow has a calf and some have two..... :D

It makes me smile and the whole calving season worth while :heart: ,,,,,,,,,even the long freezing cold sleepless nights. What is even better is that I am pretty sure all my babies are going to have two ears and a long tail this year.... :banana:

We used to breed the heifers a little earlier than the cows so you got the nightmare over and done with. So then we were left with the big mamas with their big healthy calves. Yay for no more night checks. And you also start to pick up on particular calves with their quirks and things because you've seen them every day for the calving season so far... awww. warm and fuzzy.

hillsdown":l9u3rjql said:
This time of year when you get to do a final check before sunset and all the babies are playing and every cow has a calf and some have two..... :D

Yes, I do love it - although my operation involves kids, not calves. It is still major cool and it makes all the nights of no sleep, drying off babies, and helping a first timer figure out that it is perfectly normal to have this wet, cold little thing rooting around underneath her well worth it. :D :D

Normally a great time of year,...but this year all we have seen are calves trying to hide behind sagebrush trying to escape the relentless blizzard after blizzard weather. I guess global warming hasn't hit Wyoming yet...........

i was thing the same thing the other day as I drove up and see the steers so full of new grass their just laying around in the sun

Yep!! Even with the outside work kicking into full throttle, spring is a blessing after the cold, dark winter ~ and it always seems to come just in the nick of time! :nod: :clap:

grubbie":28yxpcxz said:
Normally a great time of year,...but this year all we have seen are calves trying to hide behind sagebrush trying to escape the relentless blizzard after blizzard weather. I guess global warming hasn't hit Wyoming yet...........

I don't know about global warming, but something has definitely hit Wyoming - we've had 4-6" of rain in a little over a week! :shock: :shock: I cannot remember that ever happening before at this time of year, and they are predicting rain for the entire coming week. The percentages are low enough that I doubt anything will come of it, but who knows?

Latest posts