Don't seem right.

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
I have a 2000 1/2 ton Z71.Put 253,000 miles on it and now have to replace the water pump.
Maby I should have bought a ford.
They just can't seem to make a vehicle to last.

Cal

The next thing will be your fuel pump and its not easy to get to. WHEN it goes out on you and if it leaves you stranded try hitting the fuel tank a few times with a hammer. This will sometimes get it going again long enough for you to get to the shop.

I didi the hammer on the fuel tank thing and it saved me on my GMC Sierra. I was at a gas station when it happened and called a mechanic friend of mine and he said have some one hit the tank while hitting the starter swith at the same time - and it really worked! I know what you mean though, only 253,000, at least in the 70's you could coun't on everything going to hell on a vehicle after the first year and the 12,000 mile warranty ran out, those were the days.

got 270,000 on the dodge 2500. Had to replace the fuel pump in the gas tank. That cost 1500 dollars. I was ticked. On the 1993 jeep grand cherokee that I drive around the farm I have 198,000 on it and its a beater but it goes anywhere I want without getting stuck.

Got 218,000 on my 2001 Chevy 3/4. Injectors went out while still under warranty. Since then haven't done a thing but keep it serviced.

1982vett":30pq6whn said:
Selling em one piece at a time now instead of whole new ones. :lol:

I've often wondered how much a vehicle would cost if you had to buy it piece at a time over the parts counter. I'm sure it would be staggering but I'd really like to know the exact number.

Johnny Cash stole his "one piece at a time". I think he had a problem getting it titled. Can't remember exactly what the problem was. Title weighed 47# or something like that......... :lol2:

Jim62":cx2tsmxj said:
Johnny Cash stole his "one piece at a time". I think he had a problem getting it titled. Can't remember exactly what the problem was. Title weighed 47# or something like that......... :lol2:
and it took the whole staff to type it up

dun":1f6r4rjz said:
and it took the whole staff to type it up
Dun if that was down here that would include on lady in her late 70s early 80s and a girl that wants to talk on her cell phone
sold me a set of plates about a month later got stopped the officer informed me the plates didn't go with the truck he looked and the little sticker didn't go with the plates so I went to the DMV and they had put the right sticker on the wrong plates I had someone elses plates
luckily I didn't get a ticket

would have been pissed if I had of

Jogeephus":22kyvrzp said:
1982vett":22kyvrzp said:
Selling em one piece at a time now instead of whole new ones. :lol:

I've often wondered how much a vehicle would cost if you had to buy it piece at a time over the parts counter. I'm sure it would be staggering but I'd really like to know the exact number.

Long time ago, when you could buy a new Chevy for maybe $3000, I was told the car would cost $30,000 bought over the parts counter. That was just talk around a stove, or maybe around a parts counter, but it was close enough for us loafers.

Angus Cowman":3oit2u8m said:
cowman30":3oit2u8m said:
got 270,000 on the dodge 2500. Had to replace the fuel pump in the gas tank. That cost 1500 dollars. I was ticked. .
Somebody got the shaft and didn't get kissed!!!!!!!

:eek: :nod:

On all the new vehicels they have the fuel filters mounted in the gas tanks before the pumps? Es-plain that one... :x

My grandma had a 92 dodge dakota, it was a really nice little truck but a lemon at the same time. The milage on it was only 30,000km because she doesn't like to drive much. It would go through fuel pumps faster than we could put them back in. The one year she went through 4 pumps. We talked to one of the mechanics @ dodge and they said it was due to milage!! Even though we told him the amount of km on it. The last problem was the transmission wouldn't shift anymore because the fillings would plug up the filters! She put it up for sale as a best offer and a guy from a town near us (won't say where, incase he happens to be on this chat site) offered her $2500 for it. I bet he thought he got a steal of a deal!! :lol2:

Brute 23":1hil8e1w said:
Angus Cowman":1hil8e1w said:
cowman30":1hil8e1w said:
got 270,000 on the dodge 2500. Had to replace the fuel pump in the gas tank. That cost 1500 dollars. I was ticked. .
Somebody got the shaft and didn't get kissed!!!!!!!

:eek: :nod:

On all the new vehicels they have the fuel filters mounted in the gas tanks before the pumps? Es-plain that one... :x
I don't know of any that have the filter in the tank, I know they have a sock or screen in the tank but the actual filter is inline between the tank and the engine
At least on chevy, dodge and fords

The most unthought out thing I ever saw was on an El Camino - 80 ish. You could not get the eigth spark plug out without pulling the motor or cutting a hole in the frame. This was ingenious to say the least.

Angus Cowman":357ou5p6 said:
Jogeephus":357ou5p6 said:
The most unthought out thing I ever saw was on an El Camino - 80 ish. You could not get the eigth spark plug out without pulling the motor or cutting a hole in the frame. This was ingenious to say the least.
Jo some of the camaro's were the same way

The old Sunbeam Tiger had knock outs in the firewall to reach the back plugs, But it took a long extension with a flex joint to get to the plugs.
The Ford Rangers are almost impossible to get to a couple of the plugs from the top. Takes forever and it's a knuckle buster. I found out that if you take off the tires you can reach straight in to the plugs and it only takes a ocple of minutes.

dun":33lsaq28 said:
The old Sunbeam Tiger had knock outs in the firewall to reach the back plugs, But it took a long extension with a flex joint to get to the plugs.
The Ford Rangers are almost impossible to get to a couple of the plugs from the top. Takes forever and it's a knuckle buster. I found out that if you take off the tires you can reach straight in to the plugs and it only takes a ocple of minutes.

I can see the headlines now

Hillbilly dies when taking tire off of truck to change spark plugs

Back in my high school days, when I had a 1973 Monte Carlo, the condenser for the A/C blocked the back plug on that side. Another "I don't work on them, I just design them!" thing was that there was about 2 1/2 feet from the front of the engine to the grille, but even with that room to spare, they still saw fit to put the distributor so far back you almost had to climb in the trunk to set the points!

Latest posts