don't laugh: rope calf on foot?

Help Support CattleToday:

Which one is better?
"Better" is subjective. I have the Kalf Katch. The hook is smaller, so not good for calves over 300 lbs., but the pole extends 10 ft. BTW, the hook is pliable enough it's easy to bend it/make it a little wider for larger calves.

The Hook Doctor is good for newborns, but they get to about 130 lbs. and up it won't hold them or they will jerk the crap out of you trying to get away. If I have to catch a bigger calf I try to hook a front leg - they don't seem to pull sideways or backwards as hard as they do going away from you with a hind leg hooked.

I've roped them on foot, off the hood of a pick-up, out of the back of a truck - in am emergency you do what you have to do. And I am not a good roper and usually don't hit on the first try. I do have a hook to catch their feet. 3/8 SS tubing bent to a 180 degree bend with rigid tube benders and it has a poly tube sheath over the hook. Works great for catching a foot.

Is this what you're talking about? Don't have one myself, but I might by the end of the week.
Yep thats it will be standard on your sbs or wheeler

Update: Roping went fine...and then the calf bawled and 9 very maternal/protective cows charged up to me from all sides bellowing and stomping within a few feet of me. No damage done and I aborted the task and let the calf go pretty quick and everyone settle down fast. Gonna do everything in the working pens/headgate this year :)

Update: Roping went fine...and then the calf bawled and 9 very maternal/protective cows charged up to me from all sides bellowing and stomping within a few feet of me. No damage done and I aborted the task and let the calf go pretty quick and everyone settle down fast. Gonna do everything in the working pens/headgate this year :)
I just carried mine to the pen!
Mamas followed. Gotta admit tho, twas a bit frightening for a few minutes. They all got up to me and decided it was ok for me to carry that calf.

Something like this?49612768_1871098636333734_4229758353733058560_n.jpg

Bought some 1/2 inch aluminum and made three of them for a fraction of the cost of store bought.CA32D03C-7A6D-4789-ACA4-401876C4CB4E.jpeg