dont know

Help Support CattleToday:

chris wilson

Reaction score
i just bought a black angus bull.he is around 450 lbs. he has not been castrated.we bought him to butcher.but after talking to several people they told me he might be strong tasting.we was going to leave him out to pasture till the end of april then put him in the barn and grain feed him for the last 3 or 4 weeks then have him butcher.and if you think he will be strong tasting.what is a good looking black angus bull worth.his father is register.he is not.had serveral people tell me he is a good looking bull. i dont know,because i know nothing about cattle.any information would be great.in nothern ky. thank you inadvance

Why not have him cut now then grain him for 60 to 90 days. By then he will be much more a finished steer, and much better than what you are suggesting. Every day he has nuts he will get stronger.

the two I have werent castrated until late. one at 3 or 4 months and then the other at just over a year old. didnt take long for him to lose his big ol fat neck and start looking like a steer. not that I am any expert but I listen to the opinions of those that are and they tell me they will be just fine if you feed them for a while before butchering after a late castration.

5minpins":16wwnyqj said:
the two I have werent castrated until late. one at 3 or 4 months and then the other at just over a year old. didnt take long for him to lose his big ol fat neck and start looking like a steer. not that I am any expert but I listen to the opinions of those that are and they tell me they will be just fine if you feed them for a while before butchering after a late castration.

How long did you feed him after he was cut at one yr and what did he grade for quality grade. I am guessing that unless he was fed for at least 90 days he wasn't marbled that well. The testosterone helps a lot for growth but not for marbling. Just curious but unless he was a bull prospect why would you wait until a yr before having him cut. I am also curious who you consider experts, most peoples judgement is clouded by their own self interest, if these are feedlot operators then you got good advice, if not then who are the experts? Not being harsh just curious

No matter how much you hammer feed to him, by the end of May he isn;t going to be very big. He'll still be basicly a baby and being a bull isn;t going to affect the meat all that much

I should have said in my first post but I assumed it was assumed ( :???: sorry) ~ yes, cut him now. Is not too late. He will be better than if left a bull, and 450 lbs is not too late by any means. I would not keep him to sell as breeding stock to sell to someone else. You can;t throw a cat without hitting one of those, he is worth more in your freezer I think. Is it possible you could delay bucthering? He still has a lot of grow in him, and will not be done in 7 weeks. People usually take 75 to 90 days for grain finish. Maybe this is not practical for you?

thanks for all the replys.just wondering how to cut him.should i get a vet or can i do it my self.and if a vet what do you think it will cost.thanks in advance

Do you have any other cattle? Heifers or cows if not leave him a bull and feed him the meat will be fine. You will have more red meat and a little less fat.If you are not going to feed any longer than you have said it will not make any difference if he is a bull or a steer.

that steer wont be strong tasting at all.he will be fine to eat.an he will be some good eating.feed him grain while he is on pasture for the next 120 days.an then pen him up 30 days before butchering an pour the feed to him.

Just has ours done. With vet call and tetanus it was $30/calf. They were 9 months old, he used a bander, not a traditional one because of their size, I forget what its called. YOu can do it yurself. There was just a discussion on this (how to do) on the beginners board. I will look and see if I can find it and get back to this.

Here is the site:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=45798

I have never transfered before, so if it doesn't work, the thread is on pg 3 of beginners board. Called Castrarting Newborn Bull Calf. There is info on there about how to do it when they are older ~ lots of info, give it a read. Was written on Mar 20th.

There are so many options and none are wrong. I have banded bulls that didn't get sold that weighed 1000 + lbs. most of them did good some had a problem with the spermatic cord, I should have used two bands, but didn't know any better. When I slaughtered them 1 graded choice the rest of them graded select 1 and 2, Not two bad for Limousin purebred bulls/steers. My commercial steers I have banded in the fall when they weigh 600 to 700 and never had a problem with them. If it were mine I would band him, grain him and enjoy the steaks.

Latest posts