don't know what to do

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We weaned calves early running low on pasture, we have 15 4wts, 4 steers rest heifers, two of those are registered angus, they've all had first round of shots. I don't know whether to booster them and hold on for awhile or sell them? we will keep the 2 registered calves. What do you all with more experience think a poor ole hillbilly should do? I'm a loss. I' in north central Ky not far from the Ohio river. Thanks in advance

rollinhills":3fsto2ug said:
We weaned calves early running low on pasture, we have 15 4wts, 4 steers rest heifers, two of those are registered angus, they've all had first round of shots. I don't know whether to booster them and hold on for awhile or sell them? we will keep the 2 registered calves. What do you all with more experience think a poor ole hillbilly should do? I'm a loss. I' in north central Ky not far from the Ohio river. Thanks in advance
Im gonna wean mine and keep until December. But read my signature below and make your decision.

This question keeps coming up...keep or sell...seems a simple solution if you can feed em the next month or so. I know I'm out of good grass...

rollinhills":2xeccd62 said:
I think I have enough hay and more to bale, feed not too awful expensive, I just gave $178.00/ ton for 3way mix, I'm wondering if they are going to keep going down.
Don't ever sell out because of fear of the market, that's when you lose the most. When the market starts going down, that just means your IQ needs to be going up.

Run the numbers first, and then make a educated guess on what you need to do.
Figure for 90 days of feed, and 2 pounds ADG. (Will you have to keep them for 90 days?, probably not but it's to better plan for long term.) Get your break-even price, and compare it to current prices.
If you stand to make a good profit against current prices, then do it. If you can't, then sell.

*This is all my own opinion, and is based on my own experiences and understanding.*

Latest posts