Don't know how yall do it

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller

Reaction score
Predicting -40 actual air temps early Sunday morning in Aberdeen, South Dakota :shock: Y'all are tougher than me.

Layers! And constant self reminders that because the air hurts your eyes, we don't have to deal with gators and big, ugly spiders!

BTW, it was -13 actual here this morning. It wasn't too bad feeding and bedding the bulls down, as long as I stayed out of the really strong wind. Healers gave up on me after about an hour though, their feet were frozen and they headed back to the barn office (heated!). The bulls bedded down as soon as I put down the fresh stalks, even they would rather be warm and hungry than cold and full today it seems. Sounds like Sunday morning is gonna be rough though....

Boot Jack Bulls":14glba4i said:
Layers! And constant self reminders that because the air hurts your eyes, we don't have to deal with gators and big, ugly spiders!

BTW, it was -13 actual here this morning. It wasn't too bad feeding and bedding the bulls down, as long as I stayed out of the really strong wind. Healers gave up on me after about an hour though, their feet were frozen and they headed back to the barn office (heated!). The bulls bedded down as soon as I put down the fresh stalks, even they would rather be warm and hungry than cold and full today it seems. Sounds like Sunday morning is gonna be rough though....

You forgot these vile creatures.

Craig Miller":8xy9zsqw said:
Predicting -40 actual air temps early Sunday morning in Aberdeen, South Dakota :shock: Y'all are tougher than me.

We are looking like we should have that with windchill factored in tomorrow and when the truck wouldnt fire this morning, I remembered why these days are so tough. If you're interested, this is my weather station:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =KNYRICHL2

True Grit Farms":16xq19gb said:
Boot Jack Bulls":16xq19gb said:

You forgot these vile creatures.

How abundant are eastern diamondback rattlers on your farm? It takes some effort finding timber rattlers. The Prairie rattler is very abundant in some parts of Wyoming and Montana.

This is how we do it, in the mountainous areas of Va. Long-johns, pants, turtleneck, long-sleeved insulated shirt, coveralls and a hooded sweatshirt, gloves, ball cap and fur-lined Bomber hat! LOL It was 22 this morning with 25 mph winds.

True Grit, you are correct! Snakes are for the most part small and hard to come by up here....thank god!

Workinonit, that's pretty standard for below zero farm work for us too. Can't forget insulated boots too...few things worse than frostbit toes. Most times when we are working stock, or bedding down the cattle and feeding hay, I can get away with winter boots, long johns, jeans, thermal shirt under a sweater, hat and gloves. That's what I wore out this morning, and I was pretty comfortable.

Boot Jack Bulls":1runk4pb said:
True Grit, you are correct! Snakes are for the most part small and hard to come by up here....thank god!

Workinonit, that's pretty standard for below zero farm work for us too. Can't forget insulated boots too...few things worse than frostbit toes. Most times when we are working stock, or bedding down the cattle and feeding hay, I can get away with winter boots, long johns, jeans, thermal shirt under a sweater, hat and gloves. That's what I wore out this morning, and I was pretty comfortable.

That wind, is what gets me. Bad wind, the suit goes on. :)

Workinonit Farm":2n5j5ce8 said:
This is how we do it, in the mountainous areas of Va. Long-johns, pants, turtleneck, long-sleeved insulated shirt, coveralls and a hooded sweatshirt, gloves, ball cap and fur-lined Bomber hat! LOL It was 22 this morning with 25 mph winds.

U need to get tuff, I have slept out and kicked off the covers in worse weather than that. :bs:

Looking at that map, sure is nice to know that I am able to share the Christmas spirit with some of you south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

We're under then gun here for 6-11" of snow followed by -20F that night with high winds. Yippee. We were under a wind chill advisory last night and we have a 1/2 mile trek back and forth to our silage in tractors with no cabs. Dressed like Workinonit, wasn't too bad. People up here brag about our fortitude as a coping mechanism.

Except for the extremes I'll take winter over the mud and fog we had for the last few weeks of fall.

M.Magis":1jpfd7b0 said:
5 this morning. Supposed to be in the 50s tomorrow.
Quite the swing.

I find that to be more worrisome than cold weather or hot weather. Consistent heat or cold isn't so bad, its the broad swings.

kenny thomas":3692s5oc said:
U need to get tuff, I have slept out and kicked off the covers in worse weather than that. :bs:

FWIW, this morning was 18, went out without the coveralls, fur hat and insulated shirt (traded for longsleeved). The wind wasn't blowing. That's what makes the difference, that dang wind. No wind, not even a light breeze. That and a hot flash here and there. ;-)

Latest posts