Don't drive through Rush Springs, OK

Help Support CattleToday:

2barmcattle

Reaction score
We were pulled over at the famous "speed trap" at Rush Springs for "speeding". This "speed trap" is a very unethical way of creating income by the town of Rush Springs. The speed limit goes from 65 to 55 to 45 in less than 1/4 mile so by the time you try to slow down from 65 you are already in the 45. Anyway, after handing the officer my DL and insurance, he came back and asked if I knew my DL had expired 2 weeks ago. I said no (my fault)and, he told me that I was not allowed to drive my pickup and I had to call someone to come and get me. Even after I told him I was less than 10 miles from home, he made me call my wife to come and get me. While waiting for my wife, he came back to the truck and said he had THREE citations for me. Speeding - he said I was going 66 in a 45. I asked if he meant 56 because there was no way I was going 66 and he boldly said YOU WERE GOING 66!!! the other was, expired DL and the 3rd??? My insurance card expired YESTERDAY - so no proof of insurance was the other citation. I was so mad I had the poor guy shaking and I don't get mad.

Continued.......rediculous Oklahoma law.....I called the Tag office to get my DL renewed. They said I need a State issued birth certificate to get it renewed. We went home and got my birth certificate issued by the state of Nebraska and they said they could not accept it. I needed a birth certificate issued by the state of Oklahoma - I said "I WAS BORN IN NEBRASKA" and have had a Oklahoma DL for 10 yrs. She said I would need to take it to the courthouse on Monday morning and get it certified by the state of Oklahoma before she could renew my license. I then had a couple freinds drive up and get my pickup and drive it to my house.

I know I could have prevented some of this but......WOW. Combination of a nothing town trying to unethically create income for their nothing town and beureaucratic bull - - - - from the State. Soooo disapointed. I have receive 2 speeding tickets in the last year and both have been at that spot. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just needed to blow off steam.

Sounds kinda like a good business for the mafia to be in. Stuff like this is going to become more common as governments try to get that extra money to make their payroll so they can provide you with all the services that you so desire and demand. ;-) I think its 43 out of 50 states are facing huge financial problems. Since they don't believe in smaller government they will just raise revenue anyway they can.

Oh yeah.......he also told me that if I pay an extra $50.00 the speeding ticket will not go on my record. Does sound like Mafia doesn't it?

Back in the day when I used to drive in Oklahoma, it was apparent how things work up there. You zoom along happily at the posted limit, approaching a small town. Suddenly (in about 1/4 mile or so) the speed limit signs go 60, 50, 40, 30, 20--- and then you spy the cop sitting there with his radar gun. I never had any experience with them personally, but I always heard that they are absolutely merciless regarding speeding.

I'd like to think that the one you dealt with was the exception rather than the rule (as a$$holes go) but it seems it may just be Oklahoma generally.

Jim62":2cvii5fh said:
but it seems it may just be Oklahoma generally

Ours are polite for the most part but we got a new state trooper who is sitting behind a pecan wharehouse in the city limits writing tickets to everyone who runs the stop sign at the railroad crossing. Since the railroad belongs to the sawmill and they only run chips to another facility on Thursday, even the city police run this stop sign. But the law is the law and he is really making the city a lot of money. I'm thinking they are trying to pay for the $30,000 water trough they just bought us. I understand he wrote nearly 200 tickets in two weeks.

Just talked to my dear mother and told her what happened. Her reasoning is sure WHACKED OUT. She dared to ask: "So if you had gotten your DL renewed and had your current Ins. card then you would have had only one ticket?" I fired right back at her...........................yes mam.

I've had 3 speeding tickets in my life and one was in OK back in the mid 70's near Stillwater. It was a county officer and he had me dead to rights doing 59 in a 55 zone. :roll: Most of my dealings with the police have been positive, but this guy was a real arrogant smart a$$.

Another one was for doing 65 on an on ramp in Chicago. Heck, anyone who's ever driven around there, or any other big city for that matter, knows you can't enter the Dan Ryan doing 50 when everybody else is doing 80. You'll get eaten alive.

The third one was when I was young and stupid and got clocked doing 85 in a 35. Guess I kinda deserved that one. ;-)

If you have had a ticket within the last year at the same spot, why didn't you slow down? You had my sympathy untill I read that and that you were 10 miles from home :shock: They(tickets) were all well within your control no matter how sneaky you think the cop was.

Darn those mommas. They just get right to the heart of the matter, don't they? ;-)

I have receive 2 speeding tickets in the last year and both have been at that spot.

I don't think I would have told that one. :)

We drive through there fairly often and have never been stopped. There's plenty of time to drop from 65 to 45, especially from the south. If I remember right, the speed limit drops to 60 first where the road splits off to go "downtown" Rush Springs? Then it drops on off to 55 and 45 and there's probably a mile to slow down, though you are going downhill and may have to brake some. It might be more difficult from the north because you're doing 70 mph and have to get slowed down. But there is a flashing light to warn you about the change in speed limit.

Besides, if you live within ten miles, you know the reputation of the town. Can you convince your wife that those tickets are her Christmas present this year? :lol:

Oh, and the state law about showing a birth certificate to get your license renewed? That's part of the new anti-immigration law that went into effect this year. The one to keep illegals from getting drivers licenses or jobs in the state.

mwj":3c93vqa3 said:
If you have had a ticket within the last year at the same spot, why didn't you slow down? You had my sympathy untill I read that and that you were 10 miles from home :shock: They(tickets) were all well within your control no matter how sneaky you think the cop was.

Do you know my wife??? That is exactly what she said.
I own and deserve all of the tickets. What great timing too.....Expired DL 2 wks ago?? I never look at it. Expired Ins Card?? YESTERDAY. Can't drive the truck?? Ticket for ins. card ONE DAY expired. No mercy!!

Frankie":3pxk4m9y said:
Darn those mommas. They just get right to the heart of the matter, don't they? ;-)

I have receive 2 speeding tickets in the last year and both have been at that spot.

I don't think I would have told that one. :)

We drive through there fairly often and have never been stopped. There's plenty of time to drop from 65 to 45, especially from the south. If I remember right, the speed limit drops to 60 first where the road splits off to go "downtown" Rush Springs? Then it drops on off to 55 and 45 and there's probably a mile to slow down, though you are going downhill and may have to brake some. It might be more difficult from the north because you're doing 70 mph and have to get slowed down. But there is a flashing light to warn you about the change in speed limit.

Besides, if you live within ten miles, you know the reputation of the town. Can you convince your wife that those tickets are her Christmas present this year? :lol:

Oh, and the state law about showing a birth certificate to get your license renewed? That's part of the new anti-immigration law that went into effect this year. The one to keep illegals from getting drivers licenses or jobs in the state.

I rarely drive North so I had my guard down. I suppose I will remember next time though.

My wife did get a Christmas present out of this. She is mercilessly giving me crap about it. Can't believe she would think of something like this as being ........FUNNY???

I figured the birth certificate was an immigration thing......still not very fair to us citizens. It expired 2 wks ago!!!

I am almost ready to SUCK IT UP as a lesson learned :oops: I guess I know where part of this years bonus is going. They did say that if I pay an extra $50.00 they would not go on my record. Oops...starting to boil again. Have a great day!! :tiphat:

Cobra radar detector $99. That should be on you Christmas list.

Back when I used to commute the 100 miles one way to New Orleans, I got 2 tickets as well. Bought a radar detector, and have not got one since. Yes, I should drive the speed limit, but I don't. Best money I ever spent. You will know the cops have a radar on before you see them!

2barmcattle":32mjnpty said:
I rarely drive North so I had my guard down. I suppose I will remember next time though.

My wife did get a Christmas present out of this. She is mercilessly giving me crap about it. Can't believe she would think of something like this as being ........FUNNY???

I figured the birth certificate was an immigration thing......still not very fair to us citizens. It expired 2 wks ago!!!

I am almost ready to SUCK IT UP as a lesson learned :oops: I guess I know where part of this years bonus is going. They did say that if I pay an extra $50.00 they would not go on my record. Oops...starting to boil again. Have a great day!! :tiphat:

Guess you were caught in the "perfect storm." But, If it makes you feel any better: A few years ago my son came down from OKC to spend the weekend. He got a ticket Saturday in Rush coming down and another one on Sunday on his way back to OKC. :???: He paid he extra and kept it off his record. That might save you some money on car insurance.

I hope the new drivers license requirements are working because they're sure putting a some legal folks in a bind.

BTW, since you live close, what's that new building on the east side of Hwy 81, just north of the light in Rush? Is it just someone's home?

Got nailed doing 53 in a 35 back when I was younger and dumber. Make matters worse, no wallet so no DL. Had to show it at the office when I paid my fine.
I let my DL expire once. Talk about a pain in the butt. I had to retake the written test, failed. Told me I couldn't drive. Told them that if there was a fire or medical I would drive. Told me that they would call the Sheriff's office and report me. Told them to call xxx-xxxx and ask for so and so. They never did.
Found out that I had to wait a week before I could retake the test.
retook the test and passed, marked my DL as an organ donor. Then these people started asking if my family knew, yes, are you sure, yes, did you tell all of your family, yes, are you sure? YES!!! My family knows, all the EMS people I work with know, my fire fighters know, the in laws know THEY KNOW!
Are you sure? Oh stick it some where.
I left.
now I make sure I do not let my DL expire.

Frankie":ib122e6v said:
2barmcattle":ib122e6v said:

Guess you were caught in the "perfect storm." But, If it makes you feel any better: A few years ago my son came down from OKC to spend the weekend. He got a ticket Saturday in Rush coming down and another one on Sunday on his way back to OKC. :???: He paid he extra and kept it off his record. That might save you some money on car insurance.

I hope the new drivers license requirements are working because they're sure putting a some legal folks in a bind.

BTW, since you live close, what's that new building on the east side of Hwy 81, just north of the light in Rush? Is it just someone's home?

I'm tellin' ya. They make a fortune at that spot. :mad:

I got pulled over for an 80 in a 60. Went to court and said I would have been impeding traffic at 65 or less. I had to do drivers ed. 4 days after court I was with in 3 miles of where I was pulled over the first time going 63 in a 60 for impeding traffic. Went to court and told the same judge I told you I would have been impeding traffic.
Same cop and same judge but, had to go back to court and fight the charges to get them both lifted and reimbursed.
So do I go for a speeding or impeding traffic ticket?

P.S. I just check my wife's and my DL and there still both good for 2 years.

2barmcattle":18mviuf1 said:
mwj":18mviuf1 said:

Do you know my wife??? That is exactly what she said.
I own and deserve all of the tickets. What great timing too.....Expired DL 2 wks ago?? I never look at it. Expired Ins Card?? YESTERDAY. Can't drive the truck?? Ticket for ins. card ONE DAY expired. No mercy!!
You learned a lesson about being responsible. YOU should have gotten your license renewed (Texas sends out notices about 2 months in advance of their expiration) YOU should have made sure you had an updated insurance card. (My insurance company sends them out about 45 days before they expire) And YOU know the area. (I know my area and you should know yours. Since I haven't received anything from the City of College Station, I guess I made it thru before that redlight camera caught me. :oops:) Taking care of business means you watch the small stuff too. If you watch the pennies, nickles and dimes, the dollars will take care of themselves. ;-) And life goes on.

I have not had a bird dog (aka radar detector) in a long time and am looking for a new one. I figure better safe than sorry. I do not drive reckless, but sometime just a little fast.
I have no knowlede of all these different bands they talk about, K this, K that , etc. I don't want to spend a fortune on a lot of needless bells and whistles, but will spend what I need to for a good one.
Information and suggestions appreciated.

Ohh I can sympathize with everyone on this thread, and i've had plenty speeding tickets.. I've been to Chicago and driven from there to niagara a couple times... I'll tell you NOBODY does 65... I got nailed just outside of buffalo, everyone was cooking along nicely, the big Hummer in front of me sees the trap and nails his brakes, I nail mine, then get pulled over for following too closely.. GRR... I can't say too much though since I was just given a warning I wasn't going to get an argument going over that... I could only lose

Here in BC radar detectors are legal (as far as I know) and I think anyone who drives a lot and doesn't have one is stupid... I paid $400 for mine, and I can still say it's paid for itself many times over

as for having let everything expire, well, with a DL that lasts 5 years I guess you can forget, I know many people who have, I try and take some extra care about that now

But I have a gripe I need to rant about with the canadian government..
I applied to get a passport, but they didn't like the picture on my citizenship card, so I had to get a replacement (it is a picture from when I was 10 years old, you aren't going to recognize me anyhow) so I got a 6 month validity passport, and sent my card off so I could get it replaced... 6 months go by, I need my new passport and call to see what's up with my citizenship card.. Oh, it take about 10 MONTHS to replace a card now.. besides, i'm told they haven't ever started on it.. but once the do it will arrive shortly... Can anyone tell me why I expressposted it???
OK I need my passport for work, so I go to renew it and get the runaround again for not having my card, but they agree.. I have to pay a 12$ renewal fee and a 60$ rush fee.. WHY? because the same bastards are slacking off and not sending me my card... Oooh I'm mad about that one!

Latest posts