Donor Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

AAOK

Reaction score
If you were in the market for a legitimate Donor Cow, would you prefer to puchase her OPEN & ready to flush, or would you prefer to purchase a bred cow? This is a poll. Please provide your preference and reason. Thanks.
Dan :?:

Do not know much about the flushing programs. But if I did not know the person or the cows history I would rather her be Bred at least then you might have better chance you are not buying another persons probelm.

But if people sale donor quality with gaurantees that she will flush and have no problem reproducing then I would like being able to get right on her flushing.

I would want her open & ready to flush. If I'm shopping for a donor cow I want her to be ready to donate..... Not to mention I can then choose the bull.

Buy her open. I youst to flush for a living and if you are planning on using her solely for a donor cow, she needs to start earning her keep right away. Flushing is not a very cost effective way of building a herd so she had better start earning you money right away. Keep her age and condition in mind before you purchase.

Do you have a particular cow in mind already or are you still shopping? would like to here more.

Semen Demon,
I have an eleven year old cow that we have flushed twice that I am considering selling. She has been an excellent Show Heifer/Breeding Bull producer, and we just got our first ET calf, a 7/8 Simmental Meyer 734 son. He sure looks good. We are already considering promoting him to the Club Calf industry. We'll see..... Most people seem to want a cow of this age bred, so I'm going to go ahead and breed her, and then decide if I want to part with her.

I would rather them bred so say she comes bred to "L342" and I was thinking of flushing to that bull I could see the calf so I no if it is a good croos are not.

Jeanne,
My thoughts exactly.........If I can part with her. These old Show Heifers get kinda sentimental.

Latest posts