Donkeys

Help Support CattleToday:

Mrcopier

Reaction score
Just curious, does anyone know if having a donk in a pasture would help keep hogs away?? I know they do for coyotes but didn't know about hogs. I have a severe problems with them. And a second question, how in the world do you straighten out the areas they waller out. Mine are sometimes 3 feet deep and 6 foot wide. Buy a bulldozer??? LOL!!

Donkey ain't gonna help.
You gotta get after em and stay after them. Day and night. Enough pressure and they'll leave...till they come back. One good thing, it's generally no problem to find folks willing to harass them day and night.

It's the same here in north central Texas. If I didn't have field wire around the yard,the hogs would be rooting up the flower beds and garden. yesterday evening, several sows and a mess of piglets were out front of the house mixed in with the first calf heifers and their calves.

They multiply so fast that taking a few out isn't really doing anything significant

🤣🤣 Where are you located, E Texas here as well
Tyler County I trap over a 100 a year.
I was talking with one of the state biologist, we help each other do cows.
He said he had just crossed 3k hogs with his remote controlled trap.
I just finished this one couple weeks ago.

Attachments

• A147F03D-4621-456A-B29F-ACAC3AFF7894.jpeg
    A147F03D-4621-456A-B29F-ACAC3AFF7894.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 28
It's the same here in north central Texas. If I didn't have field wire around the yard,the hogs would be rooting up the flower beds and garden. yesterday evening, several sows and a mess of piglets were out front of the house mixed in with the first calf heifers and their calves.
Yep and they spread lepto to the cows and deer like the plague!

Wow! I had read where you all had written about wild hogs before, but I didn't realize they were that bad. I never laid eyes on a wild hog in my neck of the woods.

Wow! I had read where you all had written about wild hogs before, but I didn't realize they were that bad. I never laid eyes on a wild hog in my neck of the woods.
If you have 100 hogs you have to trap 80 a year to stay at 100.
They reproduce every 3 months 3 weeks and 3 days.
There is 11 pigs in this trap.

Attachments

• E7A817DA-41C9-4306-B05C-6CF1F55D9BA9.jpeg
    E7A817DA-41C9-4306-B05C-6CF1F55D9BA9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
That's very interesting. Do they make good bacon?
Some people will tell you that are the best eating pork you ever ate. I have never ate one because of the ticks, lice, and what looks like the mange on what few i have seen. Plus i have been told even domesticated swine is ceceptable being apt for worm' s and other parasites if they are not properly vaccinated.

I don't know a thing about hogs, I'd be 🏹, 🔫, and trapping. Sounds like free target practice . 🤷🏽‍♀️

I have eaten wild hogs but it's not my preference. In bad time they will eat other dead animals like a buzzard. I'll cut out a back strap or some hams if the are clean and slick from a corn field or cattle feeders but not an old raggedy range hog. There are too many other good thing to eat out there

I don't know a thing about hogs, I'd be 🏹, 🔫, and trapping. Sounds like free target practice . 🤷🏽‍♀️
You only get one shot in this thicket 90% of the time.
Did shoot 7 one time running across the pasture until my cowboy assault rifle was empty.
This is a picture from last summer this is not an uncommon sight.

Attachments

• 06D6751B-CA40-460D-96E2-A5CEEB86209B.png
    06D6751B-CA40-460D-96E2-A5CEEB86209B.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
My husband got a thermal vision scope... He put a big dent in them with it. We have bones all over our place...lol.. I go and collect the heads when they are no longer stinking.. Daughter sells them. I love smoked pork. You have to be choosy though. Some are good, some arent.

Dont get a donkey, they'll get everything that is smaller, dogs, cats, calves, and even if they chase away the pigs, you'd have to worry about everything else.