Donkeys n' Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

We had our donkey running together with our sheep. one day the neighbours dog, a fully grown 70 phound boxer, which was pretty agressiv tried to get one of the sheep. This dog shure never came close to oure property again. My girl bit him in the neck ind simply flipt him over a 5 feet fence... he was limping for weeks. Don´t get me wrong, I love dogs, but I hat em if they chase kids and livestock and this one did both...
Never had problems with our dogs, though. But they shure behaved if the donkey was around... ;-)

Crowderfarms":34xplkgh said:
The best Livestock guards are Remington,Winchester,Marlin and Ruger.The only thing you have to feed em' is Brass and Lead.
my thoughts exactly.when i night check my cattle i cary 2 guns .a rugger 9mm and a long barrel scoped 22 mag.not much gets past me.my wife has named my 9mm the possum getter.i check her chicken yard as well and cannot count the critters ive taken.

I agree with the llama deal. If you've never been around them they take a little bit of getting used to but I assure you they will patrol your property. A buddy of mine swears they will even keep deer out of your pasture, something to do with the llama's scent- not that they pose a danger but they are terrible on fence. His llama's eat grassy hay and sweet feed but he feeds them away from the cattle. Gelded llamas are probably best - make good pets for the kids too.

I have 3 jenny's running with my cattle presently and have never had any problems.Our farm is isolated and occassionally I see a fox and a few years ago a bobcat that my brother -in-law shot but I like my jenny's because that hate stray dogs.

I raise miniature donkeys. The aren't hard at all. They like fresh water, hay in winter, the occasional treat, (mine won't eat carrots or apples, they like horse treats or cookies!). They like shelter and will seek out a covered area when it is cold or wet, so she will need access to a barn other outbuilding where she can go in or out.

Also, and this is JMHO, I sell my donks in pairs. They get along with horses or cattle, but I think they get lonely without their own kind. They are just sociable that way.

No acorns! They are poisonous to donks. Check weed, too, although they won't eat anything that's bad for them if they have plenty of hay or grass.

Oh, and if you are looking for protection from cyotes, I would recommend that you make sure that you are getting a guard donkey. Just because they are donks, doesn't mean they will attack. Mine would just look at one and keep eating. You might want to be able to get your money back if your's doesn't guard.

Good luck.

My little donkey babe is fun to have, she is gentle but doesn't like dogs. I got her to help with the momma cow during calving. she did great, but the problem, she does not have good dinner habits. She will fight with the cattle for feed. I had to separate. she lives by herself now and she amuses the children, do not have the heart to part with her. She doesn't require any special attention. Did not lose any calves to wolves the past two years?

Latest posts