donkey?

Help Support CattleToday:

smallrancher

Reaction score
Hi, I recently read Kmacginly's post on "help my calf-electric fence. I was wondering why does a cattle man have a mule/donkey? I've heard of it before and seen it in some beef pastures. Curious and naive. Thanks

Jennette (sp?) donkeys protect the calves from coyotes and other predators (but, put a jack in there and you'll have dead calves based on previous posts on this subject), and there are quite a few people who ride mules. I have a few friends who use them for working cattle, and they tell me that the mules are more reliable, less skittish, and better than horses (plus they are the source of endless jokes). I've never ridden one, so who am I to say otherwise? :lol: :lol: :lol: Just my thoughts.

Msscamp is right about using a jennet (female) donkey as a livestock guardian and not a jack (male); jacks are a breeding animal, not recommended as a pet. Not all donkeys will guard though. Here are a few websites about using donkeys as guardians:

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department ... /agdex9396

http://www.usipp.com/gatefarm/the_donkey_guardian.htm

http://www.agr.state.tx.us/pesticide/br ... onkeys.htm

It's usually the males that bray more than the females; they can be quite vocal...music to a donkey lover's ears (once you know the animals, you can tell who's braying and even why!). Very intelligent animals, easy to train, requirements similar to a horse (vaccinations, deworming, hoof trims, shelter) but usually don't require grain, just pasture and hay.

Donkeys come in all sizes...miniatures 36" and under, on up to mammoth jackstock 54" and up...the big ones were originally imported from Europe to produce large working draft mules. These days people are more interested in a riding animal, for pleasure and to show. They can be ridden, pull carts, carry a pack, just about anything a horse can do. Also used as therapy animals and equine companions. Working with a donkey requires mutual trust, or you won't get far. What some people call "stubborn" is really self-preservation and caution. Someone in another post mentioned using them to halter break cattle; haven't tried this myself but would suggest that it be done under supervision.

You got me started...all this, on just half a cup of coffee!

Yep, donkeys are supposed to provide protection. The truth is about half of them don't. My jack, before I moved him to another pasture by himself, would run after my dogs, but just watch when strange dogs came around. None of mine have been guard donks and I have had 8 or 10 in the past two years. When I sell them to folks, I let them know that mine are imprinted on people and they don't guard. They eat, bray, and make other donkeys. Oh, and they poop really well, too. :D

It's usually the males that bray more than the females; they can be quite vocal...music to a donkey lover's ears (once you know the animals, you can tell who's braying and even why!). Very intelligent animals, easy to train, requirements similar to a horse (vaccinations, deworming, hoof trims, shelter) but usually don't require grain, just pasture and hay.

I see you have been bitten by the donkey bug. I really love mine, especially when they foal. The miniature foals are so small and so cute! My herdsire has this big basso-profundo bray. I have never heard anything else like it. Sounds nothing like any donkey bray I have ever heard.

They are smart and can be trained. Mine are like big grass eating dogs. My herdsire is about 30 inches at the withers.

Latest posts