donkey may get konged

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

does anyone have experience with donkeys running with your cow herd.. i have always heard they help to protect the calves from wolves, coyotes, dogs, etc... so i got one and she does protect them.. however.. now she keeps trying to steal calves from their mothers... this is especially a problem with a cow that is a little scared of the donkey or when the calf is newborn and nursing is of utmost importance... she gets in between the cow and calf and kicks at the cow.. she is breeding age now.. and i wonder if i get a jack to go with her if she will settle down?

comments welcome.. something has to give or this donkey gets a bus ride to the sale barn. thanks gene

[email protected]

Around here they prefer gelded donkeys or llamas. Getting her a companion may or may not help, getting her bred may or may not help. Getting rid of her would help.

dunmovin farms

> does anyone have experience with
> donkeys running with your cow
> herd.. i have always heard they
> help to protect the calves from
> wolves, coyotes, dogs, etc... so i
> got one and she does protect
> them.. however.. now she keeps
> trying to steal calves from their
> mothers... this is especially a
> problem with a cow that is a
> little scared of the donkey or
> when the calf is newborn and
> nursing is of utmost importance...
> she gets in between the cow and
> calf and kicks at the cow.. she is
> breeding age now.. and i wonder if
> i get a jack to go with her if she
> will settle down?

> comments welcome.. something has
> to give or this donkey gets a bus
> ride to the sale barn. thanks gene

> does anyone have experience with
> donkeys running with your cow
> herd.. i have always heard they
> help to protect the calves from
> wolves, coyotes, dogs, etc... so i
> got one and she does protect
> them.. however.. now she keeps
> trying to steal calves from their
> mothers... this is especially a
> problem with a cow that is a
> little scared of the donkey or
> when the calf is newborn and
> nursing is of utmost importance...
> she gets in between the cow and
> calf and kicks at the cow.. she is
> breeding age now.. and i wonder if
> i get a jack to go with her if she
> will settle down?

> comments welcome.. something has
> to give or this donkey gets a bus
> ride to the sale barn. thanks gene

We run miniature donkeys with our cows and don't have the problems you describe. We run pairs with the cows and donkeys, like cows, are herd animals and like to be with their own kind. I would recommend that you get a friend for your donkey.

[email protected]

thanks for the reponses.. i am not sure what i am going to do.. i have been checking into this with others around here and was told that if i put another in with her, the 2 of them would pair up and go their own way and not hang out with the cows. The man who told me this has run cattle all his life and said the only reason they hung with the cows was because they didnt have one of their own kind to hang out with. I am sure that each possibility discussed has worked somewhere for somebody. I just have to decide which i think is best and go with it. I dont know what that will be, but before fall i will do something, more calves due then. thanks again gene

We run miniature donkeys with our
> cows and don't have the problems
> you describe. We run pairs with
> the cows and donkeys, like cows,
> are herd animals and like to be
> with their own kind. I would
> recommend that you get a friend
> for your donkey.

[email protected]

We have a male donkey run with are cows and for the first while he would stay with the cows and make sure no calves would go off to far but then he lost interest and now just stays to himself. His more of a problem then help now. Don't know what will happen for yours but it was a disappointment for myself. Jane

> We have a male donkey run with are
> cows and for the first while he
> would stay with the cows and make
> sure no calves would go off to far
> but then he lost interest and now
> just stays to himself. His more of
> a problem then help now. Don't
> know what will happen for yours
> but it was a disappointment for
> myself. Jane

I bought a jack donkey for the "protection". I paid $125.00 for him. He did the same as yours, and then he started running my babies all over the pasture. He finally ran one through a fence. I sold him. I had to pay $50.00 for a coggins test and then sold him at auction for $45.00, less all the commission stuff. Expensive lesson. The last two years I have had no problems with dogs or coyotes. They come drag off the dead calves but do not bother the others. I'm not an expert by any means, but I would sell the donkey asap.

[email protected]

Latest posts