Done with a Verrrrry long and Stressfull week.....

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
My DH found his father (G) last Monday. After trying to get ahold of him for 3 days, and then talking to the rest of his family (7 kids) to see if he was out visiting them, which wasn't an unusual thing for him to do, without telling anyone else. We dealt with cops for 3 days before they finally decided the cause of death was natural. G was 68 years old and cause was a massive blow to the head, possibly caused by an epileptic seizure or perhaps he just tripped, I guess we won't ever know for sure.

By Tuesday we had 2 of DH's sisters and his brother camping here, the other 3 sisters came on Wednesday. We turned the yard into a campground. I will admit it was good to see them all, as we don't get together with them all that often, sadly it is usually weddings and funerals. I think I had about 30 people living in my yard, thankfully it is a huge yard, and thankfully we had enough campers that we didn't have to live on top of each other for a week. There were no fights of any sort, which impressed me, as it was stressful for everyone. Everyone seemed in agreement with all the arrangements, no matter how big the decision was.

Worst part of it for me was that I never got along with G, or I should say, G never got along with me. I tried my best, and tried never to say anything bad about G to anyone. I may not have seen eye to eye, but saying anything really wasn't going to help anyone out. But regardless of how G and I felt about each other, I do care about the rest of the family, and really like them all. It is hard to watch the people you like and love go through something like this was. It did catch up with me in the middle of the week, just the idea of my hubby finding his father like that really bothers me, perhaps more than it bothers him. That and all the stress of waiting on the police to finish their investigation, so the family could get into the house and look for important papers and stuff that was needed to finalize arrangements. The police, I have to say were absolutely excellent, other than the waiting part, and that couldn't be helped. The cleaned up most of the mess in the house, and they brought the all important filing cabinet to our house as soon as they could. They really explained what they were doing and looking for and why, they took care of the old dog while they were there and really couldn't have been much nicer than they were to deal with. It did make the situation a little easier, with them doing things that really weren't their job.

The funeral was on Saturday, and it was almost anticlimatic, after the week we went through. It was very hard to get through though. But there was a very nice turnout, for it, and that was nice to see. A lot more people than we expected to show up did.

One of the hardest things now is going to be figuring out what to do with the old dog that is still there. He's 11/12 years old, still in pretty good shape. But he's never had a collar or a leash on, never been in a truck, other than the day we took him out there to give to G as a puppy. That farm is pretty much all the dog knows. He's pretty lost right now. We are hopeful that another relative can/will take him. Otherwise we will bring him here and see how he deals. But we have 2 dogs of our own, and the old boy really hasn't been around other dogs. That and I'm a little worried about how he will take to my chickens. But we will see. If all else fails, there is a no kill SPCA near us and we may have to do that, I hope not, but it will be a last resort.

Now we start a whole new procedure, as DH is executor of the estate.

So sorry to hear this. Not just the loss to deal with but all the unfortunate circumstances around it. I'm sure there will be a lot of prayers for you and your family.

I'm sorry about your FIL---- I'm afraid the stress is just starting-- as to the dog,take a crate (big) put food in it
when he goes in,close the door. Load him up.. He's not too old to break to lead,but it'll be stressful for him.
Don't know why people omit that training..

Randi, I am so very sorry for your loss. I am glad that the family was able to be together and not have disagreements about final arrangements. Often that is not the case. I will hope that the settling of the estate will go equally as smooth. I will be sending positive thoughts your way.

so sorry to hear about your FIL.i know it was rough on your hubby.an itll be rough on him for awhile.as well as very stressful getting everything done.

Thank you all for your kind words and condolances. Things are starting to get back to normal around here, or as normal as they can be under the circumstances.

As for the dog, he is still at the old farm. The idea of a large dog crate is what we have come up with as well. Unfortunately for him, he will have to learn a dog collar and a leash/chain. Until we know how he is going to deal with our dogs, and with my birds he will need to be tied up.