Donating a cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

544hydro

Reaction score
Has anyone ever donated a cow to a food pantry. I would like to but they need usda butchering. Do you think many butchers would donate there time and effort?

We've always paid for the processing and just donated the meat. Old cows and all ground so there wasn;t near as much cost.

I have done it. Make contact with the church/charity ahead of time. The butcher I use is a USDA inspected facility and so stamped on the packaging, so its not even a thought on that subject for me. Like Dun said, grind it all into hamburger. Also, mention at check in at the processor and they might waive or discount some processing costs. I paid for the processing but got a little bit of a discount.

We do it every year with a deer and they don't charge for processing but we give a monetary donation, have to complete a short form. I'm assuming it's similar to donating beef, just regulated by the DNR instead of the USDA?

I am going to talk to the butcher today hopefully I will have some good news.

I have done it. I never took them to a USDA facility. Just a state inspected operation. You need USDA if you are selling by the package. I am not selling it. The packages come all marked "not for resale". Nobody is selling it. I figure that I am in the clear and no one complains about getting free meat.

544hydro":3h9vb6ap said:
Has anyone ever donated a cow to a food pantry. I would like to but they need usda butchering. Do you think many butchers would donate there time and effort?
I donate one to them a time or two a year. I've never asked a butcher to donate his time, not really my thing to ask people to be charitable. I like to butcher a big two year old steer that we miss or a young cow that come up open and have the whole thing ground into hamburger. The food closet is always VERY happy as they don't get a lot of meat relative to everything else. Anytime feeling good and doing good comes with a tax deduction, I feel even better.

Latest posts