Dolomitic or Calcitic Lime

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know but have always heard that it takes less of the Dolomite lime but for me it cost more. trucking is the reason for the extra cost I think.

Calcium carbonate is often referred to as limestone. There are two types of limestone commonly available: calcitic and dolomitic. Both contain calcium carbonate (CaCO3) and both will raise a soil's pH and increase the amount of available calcium; however, dolomitic lime is also used to increase magnesium levels.

If I remember correctly, we learned in Soil Science at AU that calcitic lime began to react sooner, thus correcting pH quicker.

I would think whatever's cheapest, then if you need to add magnesium put out some epsom salts.

Susie

susie":1cpib6ix said:
I would think whatever's cheapest, then if you need to add magnesium put out some epsom salts.

Susie

Around here everyone always uses dolomitic lime but no one really can explain why they use this over calcitic. I have some fields that are very high in magnesium and was considering using the calcitic lime in these fields. I don't know this to be true but it would seem that if calcitic lime is 100% calcium then this type lime would keep my pH in order longer than the dolomitic lime - not to mention that I can get it cheaper. Of course I have some fields that are getting a little light on magnesium so dolomitic will go on these. I'm just wondering why.

I don't know this to be true but it would seem that if calcitic lime is 100% calcium then this type lime would keep my pH in order longer than the dolomitic lime - not to mention that I can get it cheaper.

I don't think calcitic lime is 100 percent lime- I believe both the calcitic and dolomitic are around 30 percent calcium. You'd have to check the bags though.
I use calcitic, it is cheaper here.
Susie

susie":2ursg6iv said:
I don't know this to be true but it would seem that if calcitic lime is 100% calcium then this type lime would keep my pH in order longer than the dolomitic lime - not to mention that I can get it cheaper.

I don't think calcitic lime is 100 percent lime- I believe both the calcitic and dolomitic are around 30 percent calcium. You'd have to check the bags though.
I use calcitic, it is cheaper here.
Susie

Thanks for correcting me. I didn't mean pure calcium but pure calcium carbonate whereas the dolomitic is a blend of the CaCO3 and MgCO3. With this correction, do you think it stands to reason that the pH would be kept in check longer on a ton to ton basis?

BTW - I think the calcitic lime CaCO3 works out to 30% calcium on a weight basis.

Thanks for the link. That was the info I was hunting. The info on the CCE explains the reasoning dolomitic is used so often here. I knew there had to be a reason but I always find myself asking WHY? Thanks again.

In MS we seem to have two types of lime materal. Soft which changes the ph faster and hard which of course changes ph slow. If you dump the soft in the field and it rains on it before you can spread you are out of luck and it won't spread as it clumps. The hard lime can be dumped and then rained on and it still spreads by truck easlily. Most use the hard to prevent the challenges of wet lime.

Phil in Tupelo":171rt998 said:
In MS we seem to have two types of lime materal. Soft which changes the ph faster and hard which of course changes ph slow. If you dump the soft in the field and it rains on it before you can spread you are out of luck and it won't spread as it clumps. The hard lime can be dumped and then rained on and it still spreads by truck easlily. Most use the hard to prevent the challenges of wet lime.

You may be talking about "Basic Slag" as the soft?

It sets up like concrete when it gets wet.

Sure goes to work fast at neutralizing though....................

I am told grade A or soft lime goes through a small screen while grade B goes through a large screen. Both are considered Lime but the grade A will not spread after it is wet. I have seen and used slag but have not seen or heard of it much with the closing of a some of the steel mills (in Birmingham I guess). The soft may come from MS lime pits while the hard comes from Northwest AL.

Latest posts