Dolly and calf update

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
The calf seems to be doing fine. I was not able to get any milk into him (colostrum) for about 8 hours. What should I worry about if anything?

Dolly is still kicking the calf away. Not hard but away when he tries to eat. He is not Bleating, his tongue hangs out sometimes. How do I know he is getting enought milk?

I locked them in the shed tonight so she cannot walk too far away. I hope that is the right thing to do.

He is now running, jumping and bucking. He seems to be alright, just a little sad. she does not really take care of him.

If he is running, jumping, and bucking, your chances are good. Sometimes cows (especially heifers) don't like the little ones sucking from them, or they just haven't learned how it's supposed to work.

I think that putting them together in a small space is a good idea. If the calf has enough strength to run around and buck, then he won't let moma keep him away from food. Calves can be extremely persistant (thank god!)

For the colostrum, the earlier the better. The calves ability to use the antibodies and other helpful materials diminishes until around 24 hours after birth. After that, it's almost no use. If he got it in 8 hours and he's that active, then it's definitely a good sign.

I would be sad too if mom wouldn't let me eat.

I hope Dolly will figure all this out, to the calf's benefit. Sounds like the calf is doing okay so far. I'm pulling for you, Dolly, and the calf, Lancemart! Keep posting updates, okay?

Another way to judge if the calf is getting enough milk is his body condition.

Gaunt sided(sunken area between end of ribcage and hips), sunken eyes, and no discernable weight gain would be pretty fair indicators that the calf isn't getting enough milk.

Like the other posters mentioned, frisky attitude is normal for full healthy calves. On the other hand, a calf that stands around hunched up, head hanging, and ears downcast is one that is in need of attention.

Congrats on the calf and the heifer getting along better.

Best wishes and take care.