dollars

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i had a friend that took off 4 steer calves that wieght about 450 lbs.. they brought 1.48 a lbs. we live in east tn. this is the highest he has ever made and he has been raising cattle for 35 years. what is it like everywhere else and why is it so high now.

400 - 500# steers brought $1.00 - $1.30 at the sale in West, TX (north of Waco) at 06-03-04 sale. Total head sold was 1,023.

rpm22":i8o5hq7j said:
i had a friend that took off 4 steer calves that wieght about 450 lbs.. they brought 1.48 a lbs. we live in east tn. this is the highest he has ever made and he has been raising cattle for 35 years. what is it like everywhere else and why is it so high now.

Where are you in East Tn? Im in Bristol!!

Here in California the prices are a little crazy. Last Wednesday we had 2823 head go threw and yet again the prices were high. Our Feeders both heifers and steers under 600lbs were steady but over 600lbs were higher than the week before. 4-5 weight steers medium/large Frame brought 1.10-1.26 a lb. small fram brought .92-1.07 a lb.
At the special sale last saturday they were going about the same in pen lots. $1.14 to about $1.20a lb.
Around here we are told that the prices are up because of the mad cow dis. but one would think that that would bring the prices down. We were told that it was because they had closed the borders and so all the packers had to buy in there own state. But then I was told that the borders were opened again and that Japan didn't want to buyour meat so that would drop our prices low. I don't know what to believe!!!!!!!!!!

Double R Ranch":2qd1hlf1 said:
Around here we are told that the prices are up because of the mad cow dis. but one would think that that would bring the prices down. We were told that it was because they had closed the borders and so all the packers had to buy in there own state. But then I was told that the borders were opened again and that Japan didn't want to buyour meat so that would drop our prices low. I don't know what to believe!!!!!!!!!!

The only border I heard of being closed was the one with Canada, not between states.
Then along came the Atkins diet.
And as far as I know most of what Japan buys from us it things we don't eat a lot of like tongues.

goatlady":19kt9549 said:
Double R Ranch":19kt9549 said:

The only border I heard of being closed was the one with Canada, not between states.
Then along came the Atkins diet.
And as far as I know most of what Japan buys from us it things we don't eat a lot of like tongues.

Oh, no. The Japanese have been a big market for high quality beef. We sell them tons of Prime and CAB. It's really hurt sales of that beef. They want us to test every cow before they'll accept beef from the US again and the packers don't want to do that.

While the Japanese govt. wants us to test every animal, many of the resturants in Japan have a strong desire to resume importing US beef as soon as possible. Since they closed their borders to us, the resturants have had to buy more New Zealand and Austrailian beef, which for the most part is grass finished. The consumers over there seem to prefer the grain finished US beef. Hope this issue is solved quickly and we can resume exports to them.

Latest posts